Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Selfish or Heroic to come to work sick?

Beans

Selfish or Heroic to come to work sick?

what do you think about people who come to work sick? is it good of them to try and come in sick or is it selfish because you are forced to be around them all day and you don't want to get sick?
    Whoever came up with the phrase "There is no such thing as a stupid question" obviously never had the internet.

Beans

Re: Selfish or Heroic to come to work sick?

Both.

Beans

What motivates us, the differences between kinds of jobs, as well as the fact that there is no such thing as being either sick or not sick only, makes this question impossible to answer.
    Don't peach linux. Melon it!

Beans

Really depends on the day, and the circumstances. Doesn't matter whether I go in or not, as I can work from home. Also, I have my own office, and can physically isolate myself from them if I go to work sick.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by red_Marvin View Post
    What motivates us, the differences between kinds of jobs, as well as the fact that there is no such thing as being either sick or not sick only, makes this question impossible to answer.
    Depends on what their motives are. as was said in the quote. Believe it or not, there are (Very few) people who simply work for the joy of working. So if they were simply helping the company then their motives are pure. However selfish can be defined 1 of 2 ways. If I'm in a class room and I'm being called selfish b/c I never talk to anyone, I can also say that the person who is addressing me is selfish, b/c they do not know who I am and why I act the way I do. (Yet they believe they are important enough that I should give them my undevided attention)
    Which is more important in obtaining the truth, "what" or "why"? Trick question. They are of equal importance.
    Freely ye have received, freely give.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I rarely take off days due to illness, I think most people that do it often are probably just taking sickies and probably not genuinely ill. Throughout all of secondary school and sixth form I only took one sick day and that was because of stress/depression, I was feeling really down and also it had given me really bad stomach problems.

The trouble with me, even if I do feel crap I'll still carry on working, if I feel I can work then I'd feel like I was skiving if I took the day off, and I'd feel guilty. I remember once in a previous job at least 3 times during the day I said to the duty manager I've got a bad stomach and that I should probably go home and she just ignored me. In the end I said that I've needed to rush back and forth from the toilet (which was upstairs, so I had to run a fair distance!) the whole day and then she was pretty much saying, "Why didn't you tell me before!" I didn't want to tell her I had uncontrollable diarrhoea because I was embarrassed about it but I thought just telling her that I've got a bad stomach would be enough of a hint, I wasn't just making light conversation!

Actually, thinking about it, the only time I've ever taken time off work or school due to sickness is because of stomach problems, when illness has affected my mind or other parts of my body that wouldn't cause embarrassment then I've pretty much just done my best to make it through the day.
    Last edited by chriswyatt; January 16th, 2011 at 04:21 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by mamamia88 View Post
    what do you think about people who come to work sick? is it good of them to try and come in sick or is it selfish because you are forced to be around them all day and you don't want to get sick?
    I don't think it's selfish. I think it's silly to try and avoid day-to-day viruses like cold and flu unless you've got really really weak health. I find these government videos about not spreading bacteria laughable to be honest. E.g. with the whole swine flu 'pandemic', it's killed basically 'hundreds' of people, yes it's killed but the numbers are nothing to worry about. Of course it's sad that it's taken lives but the hysteria really wasn't justified and the adverts about how to sneeze and not touch surfaces that I saw on TV were just absolutely pathetic! Nanny-state nonsense! (I live in the UK, were the US ones as bad?)

You can't spend your whole life trying to avoid these things, they're everywhere! If you die, you die, best to try and live your life and not worry about these things while you're still alive I think.
    Last edited by chriswyatt; January 16th, 2011 at 04:38 AM.

Beans

I'd say mostly selfish. If you come to work sick, you (usually) run the risk of infecting others, and even getting even more sick. Also, it causes a workplace disruption if you work in close quarters, and if you're sick you obviously won't be performing to standard.

Some people are kind of hard-headed (no offense to anyone) and think they HAVE to work under any and all circumstances. These people usually have some kind of inadequacy/inferiority complex. (Again, no offense to anyone -- I'm actually the same way.)
    Game Coder Network Libre

Keep rawkin' IT.

Beans

I work at a grocery store. I come in contact with pretty much everyone either via handling shopping carts or by handling their food. chances of my spreading whatever i have would be very high. I'm suprised i don't get sick more often. Just thought about this because a coworker came in sick today and I was doing my best not to get sick the weekend before i head back to college
    Whoever came up with the phrase "There is no such thing as a stupid question" obviously never had the internet.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by theraje View Post
    I'd say mostly selfish. If you come to work sick, you (usually) run the risk of infecting others, and even getting even more sick. Also, it causes a workplace disruption if you work in close quarters, and if you're sick you obviously won't be performing to standard.

Some people are kind of hard-headed (no offense to anyone) and think they HAVE to work under any and all circumstances. These people usually have some kind of inadequacy/inferiority complex. (Again, no offense to anyone -- I'm actually the same way.)
    None taken. Just as long as you're on the band wagon too. LOL.
    Which is more important in obtaining the truth, "what" or "why"? Trick question. They are of equal importance.
    Freely ye have received, freely give.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast