Thread: Remote Desktop via VPN tunnel

Beans

Remote Desktop via VPN tunnel

Hi all,

I have an Ubuntu 10.04 server to which I would like to connect remotely via VPN network.
    The VPN works fine (using PPTP), but I still have some problems configuring the Remote Desktop application:
    simply using System->Preferences->Remote Desktop allows me to connect from a Windows XP machine with TightVNC but not the Windows Remote Desktop application which I would like to use.

But most importantly, I have now a situation where I could connect via Remote Desktop (so far with TightVNC only) either using the VPN or not. I would like the Remote Desktop server to allow incoming connections ONLY from the private LAN (i.e. VPN network) and NOT from the public internet.

How do I achieve that?

Thanks for any help you can offer!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: Remote Desktop via VPN tunnel

I love googling! First result from "how to windows remote desktop into ubuntu" yielded this:

http://xrdp.sourceforge.net/
    Think about all things you hear before you accept what you are told.

Click to find out more: The Kalama Sutta

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

xrdp is a nice, lightweight package that allows you to natively use the RDP program that comes with Windows.

Code:
    sudo apt-get install xrdp
    That should find it for you, or you can look in the software center.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by natravis View Post
    I love googling! First result from "how to windows remote desktop into ubuntu" yielded this:

http://xrdp.sourceforge.net/
    I had realized that I need xrdp, but I was wondering why... (which I eventually understood).

The big question still remain unanswered though: how can I restrict xrdp (or the underlying vnc server - i'm using tightvncserver) to ONLY grant access from the VPN?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Have you looked if it's possible to firewall the LAN from being able to access the port that vnc is using?