Thread: From clean installed VPS server to VNC accessable from WinXP

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Question From clean installed VPS server to VNC accessable from WinXP

Hello,

I've been browsing lots of threads here, but can't simply find enough information on how to do this one in a simple way.

I have a fresh, clean install of Ubuntu 10.04 LTS 64bit on a VPS located somewhere without physical access in any form. I do have full root access. What I would like to know, is to how install the bare minimum of an X-windows, and connect to it remotely from my Windows machine at home. My goal is to basically use the machine with a GUI in a window on my home computer(s) as if I would connect to a Windows server with Terminal Server Client.

I have no preferences when it comes to what type of remote desktop software I use, as long as it's available to run from clients under Windows XP, Windows 7 and Mac OSX.

I am quite familiar with using a linux machine in terminal mode for things like irc etc, I know how to install things with apt-get and whatnot.

It's not a problem for me to first startup anything manually via SSH access whenever I need to access the machines via VNC or similar. It would however be great if this process would be running constantly, since I will use torrent client, ftp server, ftp client and such things on this in a GUI mode instead of text mode.

- What packages should I install?
    - What needs to be edited when it comes to opening ports etc?
    - What other steps needs to be taken?

I would be really grateful for any assistance regarding this.

Thank you in advance.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: From clean installed VPS server to VNC accessable from WinXP

Why thank you all for your lovely help.

I guess it's Debian time instead.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

The guys that know have gone snowboarding

Beans

Well I have the same problem using ubuntu 10.04 vps on gogrid.com and as far as I can see .. only 32-bit systems can have teh vnc activated and working. for 64-bit systems there is a (downgrade) procedure to get it to work but I have not tested that yet.

and it is very very unpleasent time. I do not why the default images do not have the latest versions like maverick and why they do not have vnc installed by default along with a decent GUi at least the gnome one.

please reply here or email me walidzohair at gmail t post you teh how to links although it is very easy to get it by googling it