Thread: Moving to Debian Squeeze 6

Beans

Talking Moving to Debian Squeeze 6

With Unity coming quickly, I have decided to move to Debian Squeeze. I have since set it up on my labtop. I had a few small problems, but not to many. I had to setup wireless, sudo, disable auto-login, but all in all, Debian 6 is a really a nice install.

I can see why many people like Ubuntu. Ubuntu is certainly a beginners linux. Debian, on the other hand, is just as nice if you are willing to spent a little time configuring things like your wireless. With a plan the wireless isn't that hard either.

I have one more computer to move over to debian: it is my work computer. It presently has 10.10 on it so I can wait a few more months until Squeeze becomes finalized.

So to anyone who doesn't like Unity then I say switch to Debian Squeeze. I'm going to miss Ubuntu, but my Debian install was worth it.
    Last edited by kgarbutt; January 12th, 2011 at 11:55 PM. Reason: typo
    Ubuntu 18.04 LTS
    Registered Linux User: #486660

Beans

Re: Moving to Debian Squeeze 6

Hi, I just wanted to add an update to my Debian Squeeze install (post above this one).

I have already setup wireless, sudo, and disabled auto-login. Now I have setup firmware for graphics card, Android SDK in Eclipse, Java SDK, Python IDE, Compiz (works better in Debian than Ubuntu), VirtualBox, Wine (Ubuntu's wine setup is better), removed trash, computer & home icons from Debian desktop, made the desktop icons smaller, and finally iceweasel (firefox), icedove (thunderbird).

So anyone not interested in Unity, here is proof that Debian Squeeze is a good alternative.
    Last edited by kgarbutt; January 16th, 2011 at 01:26 AM. Reason: typo
    Ubuntu 18.04 LTS
    Registered Linux User: #486660

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

Re: Moving to Debian Squeeze 6

I'm interested in a lot of distros , I just don't have enough computers to try them all. Since 11.04 will offer the classic gnome desktop , I see no reason to leave Ubuntu.
    "Our intention creates our reality. "

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Flavors