Thread: Export guest configuration?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Arrow Export guest configuration?

Hi,

I have installed a lightweight GUI only to be able to configure Virtualbox guests; hardware, network etc.

Now, I have used almost the same configuration for my 3 guests. Is it possible, using the cmd-line to export the configuration of a guest and use as a template when creating new guests from the cmd-line?

By configuration I mean the network interface (bridged, NAT etc), chipset, if there should be a floppy and so on.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: Export guest configuration?

Quote Originally Posted by ronni View Post
    Hi,

I have installed a lightweight GUI only to be able to configure Virtualbox guests; hardware, network etc.

Now, I have used almost the same configuration for my 3 guests. Is it possible, using the cmd-line to export the configuration of a guest and use as a template when creating new guests from the cmd-line?

By configuration I mean the network interface (bridged, NAT etc), chipset, if there should be a floppy and so on.
    I don't know about a commandline solution, but all the settings are in the .virtualbox folder
    whatever you have named your vm with a vdi extension I have one named XP40g.vdi when you create a new machine
    when you get to the step labeled Virtual Hard Disk find the file of the VM you want to replicate choose it
    It's Nice How Free From the Restraints of Reality you are...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Garthhh View Post
    I don't know about a commandline solution, but all the settings are in the .virtualbox folder
    whatever you have named your vm with a vdi extension I have one named XP40g.vdi when you create a new machine
    when you get to the step labeled Virtual Hard Disk find the file of the VM you want to replicate choose it
    As far as I know, and have done, the way you suggests only duplicates the harddrive, not the configuration of the VM. Correct me if I'm wrong, I'm still new to VB

But the reason I look for a cmd-line solution is so that I can remove the GUI.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by ronni View Post
    As far as I know, and have done, the way you suggests only duplicates the harddrive, not the configuration of the VM. Correct me if I'm wrong, I'm still new to VB

But the reason I look for a cmd-line solution is so that I can remove the GUI.
    I'm new to VB too
    maybe some other resources?

you might try these guys
    http://linux.ittoolbox.com/groups/te.../linuxadmin-l/
    or of course
    http://forums.virtualbox.org/viewforum.php?f=1
    It's Nice How Free From the Restraints of Reality you are...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

I've been using phpvirtualbox for a while and really like it.

Note: You can forward X over SSH to access the VBox GUI without running a full GUI on the server.

As for your other question, I don't know. I tried creating a VM from the CLI before but it was more painful then I liked.
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...