Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Poor Sound in Fullscreen Flash Video Lenovo T60

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Poor Sound in Fullscreen Flash Video Lenovo T60

Sound is fine in flash video, but gets garbled in fullscreen.

Another problem I'm having is that when I turn the volume past 60% using the sound applet on the panel, it gets very distorted. If I open sound preferences, I notice it is in the "amplified" zone at this point, so I have to keep it in the "unamplified" zone, but then it's not loud enough.

Here is my soundcard info:

00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family High Definition Audio C
    ontroller (rev 02)
    Subsystem: Lenovo ThinkPad T60/R60 series
    Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 45
    Memory at ee400000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
    Capabilities: <access denied>
    Kernel driver in use: HDA Intel
    Kernel modules: snd-hda-intel

More info on my setup: output on my system from Alsa: http://www.alsa-project.org/db/?f=d6...66b53cdd874ae8

Thanks!
    Les.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: Poor Sound in Fullscreen Flash Video Lenovo T60

Try running alsamixer from the terminal and either mute or turn down the level(s) (there may be more than one) for the computer's microphone. When I installed Lubuntu 10.10 on my desktop I had an annoying humming sound if I turned up the volume on my speakers past half way. Turning down the microphone level in alsamixer fixed the problem. I don't even have a microphone connected to my computer; but it was still giving feedback to the sound coming through my speakers somehow.
    Registered Linux User #422464 http://linuxcounter.net/
    Use the search engine that respects your privacy rights: https://startpage.com/

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Thanks, that helped. But this means I can't put my volume past 40%. Is there any other solution?

Beans

I also have a ThinkPad T60 having the exact same problem: Flash audio is fine when in standard window, BUT, when going to full screen mode the audio becomes 'garbled'. I could describe it like this... if there was a video of someone holding a solid "Ahhhhhh" sound, when in full screen mode, it would sound like they were gargling mouthwash (hence, the 'garbled' descriptor)

I've used every release of Ubuntu for the last 3 yrs, and this issue has only started on the 11.04 Natty release

If there is no resolution to be had, then I think my plan will be to wait for the 11.10 release and just do a clean install. If this problem persists, then I don't know what to do... :'(

Did anyone find any resolution to this garbling issue anywhere else?

Beans

Same problem here. I also found this started with 11.04.

I have several T60s and the problem (in my experience) is confined to those with ATI graphics. Both X1300 and X1400 seem to have the same problem. The T60 with the Intel 950 does not seem to have this problem.

Further observations:

I also notice that as well as the garbled audio, playback speed also drops slightly as well. The suggestions from elsewhere on the net to disable hardware acceleration in the Flash settings makes no difference.

I only experience this issue with Flash fullscreen playback from within a browser (same issue on both Firefox and Chrome). Full-screen playback of .flv files in Movie Player is fine, even with HD material.

Installing the ATI proprietary fglrx makes no difference. (Though I only tried the version from the Ubuntu repository installed using Synaptic - not tried direct from ATI).

This issue seems to be raise in many posts but I've not found a solution that works. Anyone else able to confirm the symptoms or found a solution?

Beans

I've got exactly the same problem. Everything works perfect here except for fullscreen flash audio (as in youtube videos).

Fullscreen anything else is flawless.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Here's another T60 owner with the same problem. And yes I DO have an ati x1400 graphics card in it. Just did a fresh install of 11.04 and I thought they finally fixed all the problems with the radeon driver (as this card is no longer supported under fglrx, radeon's really the best option). *sigh* oh well, I suppose it was too good to be true. I'll try some of my "fixes" for the graphics issues in older ubuntu versions and see if they help this problem. Has anyone reported this as a bug already?
    It's UBUNTASTIC!
    -Custom Built Box Ubuntu 12.04 & Windows 7 dual boot: AMD-fx6300 3.5 GHz, Asrock 990FX Extreme4, Radeon HD7870, Ares 1600 Ram, Samsung EVO SSD, Momentus Hybrid HDD.
    -Thinkpad T500: KDE-Ubuntu 13.10 & Windows 7 dual boot

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Ok, I've got some verification that this problem is related to the graphics driver somehow. Booting with a kernel line option of "radeon.modeset=0" (which should disable kernel mode setting for the radeon driver) fixes the sound distortion in full-screen flash video. Of course it also reintroduces other problems like massive screen tearing and desktop graphic glitches. I'm still a loooog way off from being a linux expert, so I'm hoping this new info gives someone else ideas on how to fix this issue without disabling KMS.
    It's UBUNTASTIC!
    -Custom Built Box Ubuntu 12.04 & Windows 7 dual boot: AMD-fx6300 3.5 GHz, Asrock 990FX Extreme4, Radeon HD7870, Ares 1600 Ram, Samsung EVO SSD, Momentus Hybrid HDD.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

For anyone else suffering from this problem, I've got a very limited and not wholly satisfactory solution.

There is an addon for firefox called "FlashVideoReplacer"

It allows you to easily configure your streaming flash video's to be sent out to an external standalone player (I'm using VLC). The standalone VLC window pops up when you open a page containing a flash video. Plays fine in fullscreen, no audio distortion. Tested on several youtube video's.

Unfortunately it this addon doesn't work on many sites.
    It's UBUNTASTIC!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by dave2001 View Post
    For anyone else suffering from this problem, I've got a very limited and not wholly satisfactory solution.

There is an addon for firefox called "FlashVideoReplacer"

It allows you to easily configure your streaming flash video's to be sent out to an external standalone player (I'm using VLC). The standalone VLC window pops up when you open a page containing a flash video. Plays fine in fullscreen, no audio distortion. Tested on several youtube video's.

Unfortunately it this addon doesn't work on many sites.
    I have since installed the 11.10 beta on the same machine, and the problem is solved. Until I did that, nothing worked. The full release of 11.10 happens on Oct. 13, so I would just wait a couple weeks and do a fresh install. Hope it works for you, too!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast