Thread: Bootable ISO CD with a new file inside (fail)

Beans

Bootable ISO CD with a new file inside (fail)

I'm trying to update the bios in my latitude D600.
    I don't have Windoz so I could use a dos/win bootable diskette with the dell program D600_a16.exe added but Dell D600 don't have floppy drive so I try with a bootable CD.
    I downloaded an iso that install a bootable dos system on a CD. I googled awhile, found and installed the Iso Master Ubuntu program. This application can read, modify and save iso files so I opened it, added the dell program inside and save the new iso.
    I mounted the new iso and I saw the file is inside.
    I burned the iso in a CD checked the new file presence with file manager and rebooted the system.
    The CD booted regularly and the dos prompt was on the screen but, surprise (bad) surprise , the dell program D600_A16 is not available. Dir command doesn't show it even if the file is in the CD when I examine it with the file manager .
    Did I forget any step? Please Help!
    Bye
    Luigi
    Last edited by Lugligino; January 11th, 2011 at 05:52 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: Bootable ISO CD with a new file inside (fail)

Not sure what your doing but to upgrade my BIOS I put the BIOS file on a USB flash drive, then boot with a windows XP CD, to the command prompt>. The flash drive becomes drive C: and I just run the BIOS program from there.

Hope that helps.

Beans

See below
    Last edited by Lugligino; January 12th, 2011 at 12:26 AM.

Beans

It worked also with my bootable CD. I tested the CD on a incompatible, too modern desktop PC in my job office . The dos boot needs a PC with IDE drive so it worked very well on my Latitude D600 laptop.
    I had only change the drive, in a dos environment, from A: to R: (it was explained in an explanation info screen) and also the D600_A16.exe file was visible and executable.