Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: OMG, an android phone that turns into a pc and i think also has ubuntu!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: OMG, an android phone that turns into a pc and i think also has ubuntu!

Do want!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by madjr View Post
    ...But not too much they can do really to regain their wow factor.
    They will have a wow factor because even if they copy the idea they will promote it as if it was their own. It has happened before. (if anyone says *citation needed* read the tech news more often )
    Ubuntu user #20092 || I can't sing.

Beans

from here

we caught the Astrix running a version of Firefox compiled for Ubuntu systems. However, that doesn't mean you can simply go ahead and install other Linux-built applications as you see fit. A Motorola rep made it clear that native Webtop apps will be strictly controlled — though web-based apps are fair game. How additional native apps will be downloaded or distributed wasn't clear.
    I wonder, how long until the DRM rubbish that is strongly implied here is stripped away.

I see no reason why this mobile computer couldn't be made to run a full-blown traditional Operating System, repositories and all, while still retaining it's Android heart for traditional phone uses.
    Semper Fi

My Non-Ubuntu Blog.
    All posts by me are Public Domain.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Quote Originally Posted by earthpigg View Post
    from here

I wonder, how long until the DRM rubbish that is strongly implied here is stripped away.

I see no reason why this mobile computer couldn't be made to run a full-blown traditional Operating System, repositories and all, while still retaining it's Android heart for traditional phone uses.
    I'm waiting for Unity to be finished and Ubuntu getting into mobile devices little-by little, especially when it gets Wayland
    link somehow does remind me layout of a phone.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by koleoptero View Post
    they will have a wow factor because even if they copy the idea they will promote it as if it was their own. It has happened before. (if anyone says *citation needed* read the tech news more often )
    +1

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by madjr View Post
    well the iphone was considered the "leader" of the pack all these years, but from mid 2010 onward that started to change.

apple was supposed to be the "innovator", but now is looking more and more like a "follower" or just "another" phone.

right now the Motorola Atrix, is way, way ahead, more than what was foreseen. So much that AT&T is investing a fortune to keep this one exclusive for some time.

Sure apple will try to copy/counter in some way this or next year.

But not too much they can do really to regain their wow factor.
    It is ashamed that ATT will have an exclusive on this.

I am ready for Google to step up to the plate and become a cellular provider to save us from the riff-raff of providers; ATT, Verizon, T-Mobile, Sprint, etc. etc.

Phone does look awesome but I would be reluctant to have to buy all the accessories, now if they could make it work with existing laptop, desktops and tablets then that would be great!
    "Mind what you have learned. Save you it can." ~ Yoda

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I think it's actually a custom UI/DE done by Motorola. I have no idea how they did it, but I think it's a brilliant gimmick to show off the phone's dual-core processor.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by HappinessNow View Post

Phone does look awesome but I would be reluctant to have to buy all the accessories, now if they could make it work with existing laptop, desktops and tablets then that would be great!
    You are wrong!!

the only thing you need is the little dock/charger.

thats all you need for the desktop computer and hd home entertainment center.

and here's another cool thing:
    the laptop is not a real laptop. is ultra thin fanless. It only has a battery inside.

is about the same as having an ultra thin macbook air, except is just a fraction of the cost and the battery life of the moto atrix + laptop would be much more.

the dual core nvidia tegra hardware is quite powerful already, specially for gaming (which android has a lot), but by next year am sure the performance will double.
    When close to achieving you quit! If you don't try you failed. Real Winners are not afraid of losing.
    ubuntu newsletter ; Report Papercuts (small annoyances/bugs) ; beginners guide and video http://youtube.com/watch?v=Z0tNpt5RZYI

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

So I just got one of these phones yesterday so far its cool
    I like it but I'm not use to the touch screen
    The docking pc is a waste of money
    I might get the docking charger with the keyboard and mouse
    It came with hdmi cable

Now I am just need it to link to my ubuntu PC
    We specialize is custom work for all sports teams and any special event. we also do work for business store fronts as well as auto decals www.hometown-graphics.com http://s684.photobucket.com/albums/v...hicago%20LoCo/

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Thumbs up Re: OMG, an android phone that turns into a pc and i think also has ubuntu!

This is epic, found my next phone. I've been saying for a while they should have something just like this phone on the market, I guess phone carries didn't want to directly compete with the likes of Dell since now they'll get all kinds of end user questions that aren't phone related any more.
    I hope they make a phone for something other than AT&T or at least an unlocked one, since I'd rather not have to root my phone.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast