Page 7 of 34 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Grub Customizer

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: GC with Ubuntu 10.10 ..not seeing consistent results

Quote Originally Posted by dave_h View Post
    Anyone any idea what's going on and how I can get it to work.
    Thanks
    The first thing that comes to mind is that you have a Grub on another partition controlling your boot. This isn't specific to GC, but often changes are made to the current OS but that Grub isn't providing the menu you see at boot. And while you may think you are using a specific one, the control may change during grub package updates.

Normally you can tell because the first item on the Grub2 menu during boot is from the controlling partition. However, this may not be true if you have reordered things. I use a different background for each partition's Grub so I can tell on boot which one is being used.

The easiest way to make sure the OS you are using is being controlled by it's G2 is to run: "sudo grub-install /dev/sdX" with X being your boot drive.
    GRUB2

Retired.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu UNR

Re: HOWTO: Grub Customizer

Very Nice guide! Thanks for sharing with us

Beans
    Hidden!

Thanks drs305 for your suggestion
    The easiest way to make sure the OS you are using is being controlled by it's G2 is to run: "sudo grub-install /dev/sdX" with X being your boot drive.
    I was pretty sure that I was using the GC and G2 on the Ubuntu 10.10 partition (sda4) as no other /etc/grub.d files had so many entries but I did as you suggested. Unfortunately it made no change.

So I made a name change to an entry in "/etc/grub.d/proxifiedScripts/custom" and then ran GC again. I noticed that the name change was seen in /etc/grub.d/40_custom_proxy but wasn't seen in /boot/grub/grub.cfg

Then I tried the same thing but this time I selected "File>Install to MBR" in GC. The name change was now seen in the grub2 list on reboot.

However since that I have tried to make further deletions to the grub list using GC and whether I do "File>Install to MBR"
    or not the changes don't impact /boot/grub/grub.cfg

I have tried
    Code:
    sudo update-grub
    of course after making changes in GC but that doesn't work either.

I did notice however that after running
    Code:
    sudo update-grub
    it ends with
    wrong argument count. You have to give the config as parameter 1!
    So it seems grub.cfg isn't being updated correctly.

What is "Install to MBR" supposed to do?

Can you suggest a CLI alternative to make this work? In addition the grub list now has 28 entries for Ubuntu 10.04.1 LTS and it grows every time I do GC>Save.

This is a new and updated install of 10.10 by the way.

It all seems very hit and miss.

Any help would be appreciated.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

dave_h,

Since you are getting system-generated error message, I would recommend purging and reinstalling grub-pc and at least temporarily removing GC as well. Once you get G2 working normally you can try GC again if you wish.

Here is how I would do it. You might want to copy your /etc/grub.d folder in case you decide you need something from it later.
    Code:
    sudo cp -R /etc/grub.d/ /root/Desktop  # Copy /etc/grub.d to root's Desktop
    sudo apt-get update # Make sure you have a working Internet connection
    sudo apt-get purge grub-common # Will remove grub-common and grub-pc
    # Remove any remaining GC folders in /etc/grub.d, leave memtest alone.
    sudo apt-get install grub-pc # Space bar to select drive only, TAB to OK
    You will now be back at a default Grub2 setup. Update-grub should have run and generated a new menu without any errors. This should have removed the '28 entries' and you can start over with GC if you wish.

As far as the "Install to MBR" question, it runs "sudo grub-install /dev/sdX". I'm assuming if you don't specify anything it will write to your Ubuntu drive's MBR. The command writes instructions to the MBR to look for the boot files in your current OS and ensures the Grub2 files in this OS are controlling things and generating the menu.
    GRUB2

Retired.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

This is awesome. Thanks!

Beans
    Distro

Hi drs305,

I open GC, it asks for password, I enter my admin password, it runs and again shows me the error message

"grub-mkconfig couldn't be executed successfully. You must run this as root!"

But I had entered my admin password while opening it! How to run GC?
    I tried from terminal sudo gksu grub-customizer, it launches GC but same error comes up.
    I am using Natty. Today I got a message saying that I am not using genuine ubuntu. Don't know why.
    Last edited by telovin; April 10th, 2011 at 12:31 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by telovin View Post
    Hi drs305,

I open GC, it asks for password, I enter my admin password, it runs and again shows me the error message

"grub-mkconfig couldn't be executed successfully. You must run this as root!"

But I had entered my admin password while opening it! How to run GC?
    I tried from terminal sudo gksu grub-customizer, it launches GC but same error comes up.
    I am using Natty. Today I got a message saying that I am not using genuine ubuntu. Don't know why.
    From the command line, try "gksu grub-customizer". Don't put 'sudo' at the start since 'gksu' replaces it for graphical apps.

You could try running some other GUI app as root just to see if the problem is with GC or if it is with your system and sudo.

The following should open your fstab file and allow you to edit and save it. If it works the problem isn't with "gksu", "gksudo" or "sudo".
    Code:
    gksu gedit /etc/fstab
    GRUB2

Retired.

Beans
    Distro

Hi dr s305,
    I tried gksu grub-customizer, then also I was getting the error you must run this as root.
    I tried sudo grub-mkconfig, It showed all the entries but I couldnt edit it.
    gedit command that you gave opened that gedit window. Didn't know what to put it in there. I have saved some entries to put in gedit but before that wanted to consult with someone.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by telovin View Post
    Hi dr s305,
    I tried gksu grub-customizer, then also I was getting the error you must run this as root.
    I tried sudo grub-mkconfig, It showed all the entries but I couldnt edit it.
    gedit command that you gave opened that gedit window. Didn't know what to put it in there. I have saved some entries to put in gedit but before that wanted to consult with someone.
    The last command with gedit was just to see if you could open an app as root without an error. Apparently you can. The second command you ran also confirms this; the grub-mkconfig command doesn't allow you to input anything as it runs but what you saw looks normal.

So the problem is with grub-customizer. If you haven't already run it successfully, I'd recommend purging and reinstalling to see if that fixes things:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get purge grub-customizer
    sudo apt-get install grub-customizer
    GRUB2

Retired.

Beans
    Distro

Hi drs305,
    Yes drs,my problem is with grub customizer. I entered the commands on terminal, it removed customizer but I don't think it reinstalled it.
    Copying and pasting the results of the commands here.

Code:
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree       
    Reading state information... Done
    The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
      hwinfo libhd16
    Use 'apt-get autoremove' to remove them.
    The following packages will be REMOVED:
      grub-customizer*
    0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 1 to remove and 1 not upgraded.
    After this operation, 946kB disk space will be freed.
    Do you want to continue [Y/n]? y
    (Reading database ... 158266 files and directories currently installed.)
    Removing grub-customizer ...
    Processing triggers for python-gmenu ...
    Rebuilding /usr/share/applications/desktop.en_IN.cache...
    Processing triggers for desktop-file-utils ...
    Processing triggers for hicolor-icon-theme ...
    Processing triggers for man-db ...
    Processing triggers for python-support ...
    vinu@vinu-desktop:~$ sudo apt-get install grub-customizer
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree       
    Reading state information... Done
    E: Unable to locate package grub-customizer
    vinu@vinu-desktop:~$

Page 7 of 34 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast