Page 15 of 34 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Grub Customizer

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: HOWTO: Grub Customizer

Hi Kevin. Welcome to the Ubuntu forums.

It's very easy to add a background image to the Grub2 menu, but how it is done depends on which version of Grub2 you are using. You can check on the Grub 2 menu display or run 'grub-install -v'.

For adding buttons you get into 'theming'. Grub 2 is progressing along those lines. There is another bootloader based on GRUB called BURG, which is more advanced on theming and you can search these forums for posts about BURG. (I have no problem with BURG, I just haven't used it or know much about it.)

For Grub 2, here is an excellent, very detailed, PDF file which will tell you what you need to know about Grub 2 theming, if you want to take the time to learn how to do it.
    http://www.4shared.com/file/lFCl6wxL/grub_guidetar.html
    Back to Xorg...

Retired.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by drs305 View Post
    Hi Kevin. Welcome to the Ubuntu forums.

It's very easy to add a background image to the Grub2 menu, but how it is done depends on which version of Grub2 you are using. You can check on the Grub 2 menu display or run 'grub-install -v'.

For adding buttons you get into 'theming'. Grub 2 is progressing along those lines. There is another bootloader based on GRUB called BURG, which is more advanced on theming and you can search these forums for posts about BURG. (I have no problem with BURG, I just haven't used it or know much about it.)

For Grub 2, here is an excellent, very detailed, PDF file which will tell you what you need to know about Grub 2 theming, if you want to take the time to learn how to do it.
    http://www.4shared.com/file/lFCl6wxL/grub_guidetar.html
    I'll also just mention we prefer to use small images, thumbnails or attachments on the Ubuntu Forums for both screen space and server storage limitations.
    Back to Xorg...

Retired.

Beans

Thanks a lot, I'll go read the PDF, but if I don't really understand, I'll install BURG. Another thing, when I try to install BUC, I get this :

The installation of a package which violates the quality standards isn't allowed. This could cause serious problems on your computer. Please contact the person or organisation who provided this package file and include the details beneath.

EDIT : The PDF is way over what I can do. Also, they don't even talk about Ubuntu 11.04 so I don't want to mess my system.
    Last edited by larrivee013; July 21st, 2011 at 03:05 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by larrivee013 View Post
    Thanks a lot, I'll go read the PDF, but if I don't really understand, I'll install BURG. Another thing, when I try to install BUC, I get this :

EDIT : The PDF is way over what I can do. Also, they don't even talk about Ubuntu 11.04 so I don't want to mess my system.
    Yes, it's pretty detailed. For adding a background image in 11.04, Grub2 makes it pretty easy. Here is a guide I wrote about Grub 1.99 and backgrounds:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1739412
    It may also look a bit complicated, especially the fonts section, but essentially you just drop an image file into /boot/grub.

As far as the error message - it could mean the package has a serious problem, but it could also be a minor bug. I generally take the advice of what Ubuntu tells me. You could do a search to see if others are having problems installing the package. Depending on your risk tolerance, you could download the .deb file (or it may already be in your /var/cache/apt/archives folder) and install it using:
    Code:
    sudo dpkg -i /path/filename.deb
    Back to Xorg...

Retired.

Beans

Thanks for the fast answer. I downloaded Burg-Manager, but I can't make buc work, I always get the error message. I've downloaded it from 3 places, and always the same thing... Really don't know what to do

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by larrivee013 View Post
    Thanks for the fast answer. I downloaded Burg-Manager, but I can't make buc work, I always get the error message. I've downloaded it from 3 places, and always the same thing... Really don't know what to do
    If you tried the dpkg method of installing it and it still doesn't work there may be real problems with the package. I don't know what 'buc' is. If you really want to get it installed I'd recommend googling other sites or start a new thread. Not many of our forumites will read this thread as it's a tutorial and most are not too concerned with Grub unless they are having problems. Hope you can get it resolved.
    Back to Xorg...

Retired.

Beans

Thanks! I finally got it! I've put a theme and it makes it really awesome! Really starting to love Ubuntu

Ubuntu (Rocks!!! )

I've run BUC with GDebi Package Installer and now eveything works fine!

Beans

I've installed Grub Customizer in my Ubuntu 10.10 with Windows XP previous installed. I run the GC and Ubuntu boots Ok, but when I select the Windows XP boot option in the menu, get the "error: unknown filesystem / grub rescue" prompt.

I've tried several options before (eg. RESCATUX, manual configurations, etc) and always with unsuccessful results.

Any suggestion, please?

Thanks in advance,
    GB

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by gbrunati View Post
    I've installed Grub Customizer in my Ubuntu 10.10 with Windows XP previous installed. I run the GC and Ubuntu boots Ok, but when I select the Windows XP boot option in the menu, get the "error: unknown filesystem / grub rescue" prompt.

I've tried several options before (eg. RESCATUX, manual configurations, etc) and always with unsuccessful results.

Any suggestion, please?

Thanks in advance,
    GB
    Are you using a normal Ubuntu installation or Wubi (inside Windows)?

If you are using Wubi, I'd recommend posting in the Wubi megathread. The readers of that thread are very knowledgeable about Wubi issues. Post the contents of RESULTS.txt and describe your problem.

If this is a normal installation, please go to the following link and download/extract/run the boot info script and post the contents of RESULTS.txt.
    http://bootinfoscript.sourceforge.net

It sounds like you installed Grub2 to the Windows partition, in which case you will need to use the Windows disk to repair the boot files. But we will know more once you post RESULTS.txt
    Back to Xorg...

Retired.

Beans

please help me,my grub customizer dont work .it load but,close when charging sytem tree

Page 15 of 34 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast