Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: HOWTO: Grub Customizer

Quote Originally Posted by von Stalhein View Post
    I see there's been GRUB 1.99 released drs305

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/in.../msg00008.html

Do you anticipate any changes/improvements that would affect anyone using GC if they upgrade?
    The most noticeable change for the normal user is the introduction of submenus. Only the most recent kernel is now displayed on the main menu, with older kernels hidden in a submenu. This will prevent the main display growing as new kernels are introduced.

Mark Richter, Grub Customizer's creator, is busy incorporating the changes into the app. Some were easy and have been accomplished, some are more complex and are still being worked on.

Grub 1.99 also introduces the 'drop-in' Grub background. Here are a few threads I created about G 1.99:

Grub 1.99 Changes

Grub 1.99 Submenus

Grub 2 Drop-In Backgrounds & Font Selection
    GRUB2

Retired.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

^^
    Thanks muchly, comprehensive as usual!!

Beans

I'm having problems setting the text colors when using a background image with Grub Customizer. My root partition is configured as an encrypted lvm, which means that only /boot is accessible when grub starts. Therefore, I have to copy my background into /boot/grub, which isn't a problem. What is a problem is /etc/grub.d/05_debian_theme:

Code:
    # First check whether the user has specified a background image explicitly.
    # If so, try to use it. Don't try the other possibilities in that case
    # (#608263).
    if [ -n "${GRUB_BACKGROUND+x}" ]; then
    	set_background_image "${GRUB_BACKGROUND}" || set_default_theme
    	exit 0
    fi

# Next search for pictures the user put into /boot/grub/ and use the first one.
    for background in *.jpg *.JPG *.jpeg *.JPEG *.png *.PNG *.tga *.TGA; do
    	if set_background_image "${background}"; then
    		exit 0
    	fi
    done

# Next try to use the background image and colors specified by desktop-base.
    if set_background_image "${WALLPAPER}" "${COLOR_NORMAL}" "${COLOR_HIGHLIGHT}"; then
    	exit 0
    fi
    What crazy person wrote this code?

Here, it's clear that the sequence of steps for checking for a background image is:

1. Check GRUB_BACKGROUND
    2. Check /boot/grub for the first image file
    3. Use values from /usr/share/desktop-base/grub_background.sh

Only #3 applies menu colors (by passing colors to the set_background_image function). The first two don't allow you to change colors. So, if I have an image located in /boot/grub I never change menu colors.

I can certainly just hard code in a workaround, but I figured you might want to know about this and address it in Grub Customizer.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by nxmehta View Post
    Only #3 applies menu colors (by passing colors to the set_background_image function). The first two don't allow you to change colors. So, if I have an image located in /boot/grub I never change menu colors.

I can certainly just hard code in a workaround, but I figured you might want to know about this and address it in Grub Customizer.
    I'm sure Daniel will see your post.

I wrote about fonts/backgrounds in the following thread (and I agree Grub color schemes are not easy to understand). The thread is about Grub 1.99 but the color issues apply to 1.98 as well.
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1739412
    GRUB2

Retired.

Beans

I'm having problems setting the text colors when using a background image with Grub Customizer. My root partition is configured as an encrypted lvm, which means that only /boot is accessible when grub starts. Therefore, I have to copy my background into /boot/grub, which isn't a problem.
    No, generally you don't have to copy your image anyway. In this case 05_debian_theme should detect your image as "not accassible on startup" and copying to /boot/grub by itself.

I can certainly just hard code in a workaround
    First try the simple way - simply don't copy your image to /boot/grub and hope 05_debian_theme does it for you.

If this doesn't work, you can do it manually - the trick is to place your image as a hidden file inside /boot/grub (starting with a dot). 05_debian_theme doesn't find files starting with a dot when searching for an image.

but I figured you might want to know about this and address it in Grub Customizer.
    My idea was just to remove the button "copy to grub directory" as 05_debian_theme is able to copy the image automatically. If not (please tell me your experiences) I could copy it as a hidden file (adding the dot).

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by danielrichter View Post
    No, generally you don't have to copy your image anyway. In this case 05_debian_theme should detect your image as "not accassible on startup" and copying to /boot/grub by itself.
    Wow, you're absolutely right, 05_debian_theme copies the file to /boot/grub/.background_cache.png, which works fine. Cool! Thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

Smile Re: HOWTO: Grub Customizer

After upgrading to 11.04, my Burg went away. Only the GRUP 2 with old background image is there.

Any thoughts?
    How can I use a signature in forums?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Thanks for being such a help.I successfully did it all but when it comes to using the Grub-customizer, i get the message 'grub-mkconfig couldn't be executed successfully.You must run this root!
    How do i go about this?
    Thank you.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Gwaro View Post
    Thanks for being such a help.I successfully did it all but when it comes to using the Grub-customizer, i get the message 'grub-mkconfig couldn't be executed successfully.You must run this root!
    How do i go about this?
    Thank you.
    You are altering system files so you could try starting GC from the terminal with:
    Code:
    gksu grub-customizer
    GRUB2

Retired.

Beans

I was wondering if there is a way to put a background and put some big buttons instead of ugly text.

If I was not clear, something that looks like this :

http://www.steussy.com/blog/wp-conte...iple_boot1.jpg

Thanks

Keven

PS Should I install burg? If yes, where do I download the latest version?
    Last edited by larrivee013; July 21st, 2011 at 02:53 PM. Reason: Image was too big, so I've put the link.

Page 14 of 34 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast