Thread: USB3 support on Ubuntu server 8.0.4?

Beans

USB3 support on Ubuntu server 8.0.4?

Hi,

I just bought a dual USB2/USB3 external disk for backup purposes on my Ubuntu server box, running 8.0.4 LTS. For various reasons I can't upgrade to the newest LTS yet and I was wondering if there were any plans for USB3 support on Ubuntu Server 8.0.4?

Cheers,

mathieu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: USB3 support on Ubuntu server 8.0.4?

I highly doubt it, seeing that the only kind of support for 8.04 is security support, unless you get it off some kind of backport ppa.
    Laptop: i7 4930MX @3.9GHz undervolted; 32GB 4x8GB Kingston HyperX Impact 1600MHz; Nvidia 780M 4GB; Samsung 840 EVO mSATA 250GB; Ubuntu 16.04 and Windows 10 Pro.
    Ubuntu #8076 / Linux #429448

Beans

Gee, and I thought "long term support" was actually for that sort of thing, including drivers for new hardware and suchlike...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mathieu_ View Post
    Gee, and I thought "long term support" was actually for that sort of thing, including drivers for new hardware and suchlike...
    LTS is only for security and major problems, not adding new features. You may be able to find some documentation online on how to add support for USB3, but probably wouldn't be compatable with updates from canonical/ubuntu in the future. :\ sorry

Maybe you can find some kernel module(s) that will add support? I'm really not sure. But it won't be from canonical/ubuntu if you do find them.
    Ubuntu 14.04 Server
    -Linode 1GB
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Laptop
    -Toshiba Satellite A505-6005, Intel i3, 4.00 GB ram

Beans

Awww...

From the LTS page (Ubuntu Wiki):
    we define the LTS to be: [...] Compatible with New Hardware: We will make point releases throughout the development cycle to provide functional support for new server and desktop hardware.
    So maybe it's too late in the 8.0.4 cycle to integrate that kind of support? No more "point releases"? Is the development cycle over? :-/

Well, I guess I gotta prepare the migration to the newest LTS...