Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Installing Ubuntu 10.10, I have a few questions...

Beans

Installing Ubuntu 10.10, I have a few questions...

I'm about to install Ubuntu 10.10 onto my system, but I need to know what I should select for the "device for boot loader installation" thing.

And how do I create and assign a Swap partition?

And how do I make it so I can dual boot with Windows XP?
    (I have two Primary partitions made already, one with XP, one blank)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: Installing Ubuntu 10.10, I have a few questions...

Well if you have your partitions setup, if you load up the live CD, choose install and then choose install ubuntu alongside the image should indicate windows next to ubuntu. Then hit install. It will prompt you about swap and reccomends. If you want to do it manually it is a bit more complicated.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Kasami View Post
    Well if you have your partitions setup, if you load up the live CD, choose install and then choose install ubuntu alongside the image should indicate windows next to ubuntu. Then hit install. It will prompt you about swap and reccomends. If you want to do it manually it is a bit more complicated.
    It shows files next to Ubuntu. And it shows Ubuntu in sda3, where my hard drive only has sda1 and sda2 for partitions. Should I only have one partition on my hard drive, and let the installer make a second partition?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by maxin11p View Post
    I'm about to install Ubuntu 10.10 onto my system, but I need to know what I should select for the "device for boot loader installation" thing.

And how do I create and assign a Swap partition?
    Is your target system unusual? It is normal to have the boot loader in the normal boot sector afaik, this is very likely to be the front of your first drive. Often this is the only hard drive. On Windows machines this is usually drive C:, Linux based systems may see this as drive 'a' (sda) and the first partition would be say, sda1. The boot loader would normally default to boot sector on sda drive.

The loader will normally point to boot files residing in the (Ubuntu) installed partition. If the installed partition (system) is say, sda5, the system (/) will be in sda5, which will include a directory such as /boot containing the boot configuration (grub2), which then also controls how other OSs in the machine boot, including for example, Windows.
    hth

With installing 10.10 please be aware of
    Bug #659106: 'Maverick installer lost Windows partitions'
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/ma...ty/+bug/659106

Beans

http://s271.photobucket.com/albums/jj155/maxin11p/?action=view&current=installing.png
    (I'm a total newb. Can't even get an image to work right...)
    Is that okay for installing, and will it dual boot? (sda1 is my Windows partition, sda2 is my empty partition I want to install on)

Beans
    Distro

That will work and when you click okay it will tell you off for not allocating Swap, =D

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Kasami View Post
    That will work and when you click okay it will tell you off for not allocating Swap, =D
    Hahaha. I know.
    For some reason, I seriously laughed at your reply...

How much Swap space do you recommend I make?

Beans
    Distro

It's up to you, I have about 1-2 gigs running but I have a larger hard drive than you.

I would suggest 1 gig, info about swap and choosing it for Ubuntu can be found here:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SwapFaq

Beans
    Distro

Wait a sec, apparently there's a known bug about "installing beside" so I would hold off on the installation if you haven't started yet.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I wouldn't recommend that you use the "install alongside" option with the 10.10 installer! It has been know to eat existing operating systems!!!! The safest way is to create the partitions yourself by choosing the "specify manually" option in the installer.
    MacBook Pro 10,1 retina

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast