Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Display settings won't save on restart

Beans

Cool Display settings won't save on restart

So I had this issue before updating to 10.10 and it persisted after the upgrade. I have a dual monitor setup. Each time I log in from a restart I have to tell it not be be a clone of the first and that it's to the left, as well as change it's resolution. Now with 10.10 and activities I have to switch that as well.
    I have a dual boot of kubuntu and windows, so it's really annoying to have to set this up every time I come back. I've had a friend suggest there might be a config file somewhere that I could add a line to.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Re: Display settings won't save on restart

open terminal/konsole and try

Code:
    kdesudo nvidia-settings
    if you have an nvidia card!

that will give you the admin privileges to save the setup to nvidia xconfig.

Beans

So I entered that line and it gave me the error message "You do not appear to be using NVIDIA X driver. Please edit your x configuration file" so I tried to run 'nvidia-xconfig' but the only thing that happened is an error message that quits immediately so I couldn't tell you what it's for.
    seems like maybe if I get that working there might be a solution?
    Last edited by animedragon67; January 10th, 2011 at 01:09 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I'm glad you mentioned this. This morning I just installed kubuntu 10.04.1 on a computer, turned it off, moved it downstairs and connected it to another, different monitor and Ugh, wrong resolution! I haven't turned it off since then. I'm hoping it's not permanent-ish.

I did a non-technical "fix" on my xubuntu 10.10 box when this happened. I turned off the machine, then turned off the monitor, then turned on the machine again and when I turned on the monitor again, voila! Correct resolution. I do a similar trick whenever my usb wireless dongle has been removed and reinstalled too. Probably won't fix things, but it's pretty easy and quick to find out that it doesn't work.

Oh, maybe try powering down and unplugging one of the monitors and leaving it unplugged while powering up again. Again, painless, and maybe you'll get lucky.

I'm going to try powering down my kde machine now, see if I have a recurring problem as well.
    I couldn't be a greener Ubuntu user if my parents were yellow and blue.

I'm learning linux as the Swedish Chef advised me to:
    Bork de-bork de-bork de-bork

Beans

Cool Re: Display settings won't save on restart

Interesting. My computer hardly ever goes off, the only cases being if I'm going to be away for a weekend or a trip which has only happened on occasion. Though I believe the monitors were on before I powered up the computer.
    One of my monitors is a VGA and the other bigger better one is a DVI, seems that the computer decides that VGA connections come before DVIs so it uses the VGA resolution.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by animedragon67 View Post
    So I entered that line and it gave me the error message "You do not appear to be using NVIDIA X driver. Please edit your x configuration file" so I tried to run 'nvidia-xconfig' but the only thing that happened is an error message that quits immediately so I couldn't tell you what it's for.
    seems like maybe if I get that working there might be a solution?
    Do you have a Nvidia card/chip then, and the proprietary driver installed?
    If not, forget about that way.

First try to specify the monitor modes via "/etc/X11/xorg.conf", if that doesn't work specify them with "xrandr" via the desktop startup scripts:
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/Config/Resolution

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

animedragon67, for what it's worth, it did just work for me to start the monitor after the machine. First I tried just leaving the monitor on and restarting the machine. That resulted in GIGANTIC KDE RESOLUTION. (Ick.) The second time I shut down the machine and shut off the monitor before starting the machine back up. (I waited a bit till I felt the machine was possibly at the login screen, and then turned on the monitor.)

There were a few blinks, but then all was normal, pretty resolution. I'm so proud, my little kde is getting all grown up. (sniff). It figured out the resolution all by its ittle self.

Now if it will just save it and know what the monitor is when it restarts, all will be kisses and hugs, violets and butterflies.

Interested to what you find.
    I couldn't be a greener Ubuntu user if my parents were yellow and blue.

I'm learning linux as the Swedish Chef advised me to:
    Bork de-bork de-bork de-bork

Beans

ok so it appears I was mistaken, I'm not sure how, but I have an ati radeon card not nvidia card.
    I had installed it from the windows side, but apparently I must need to install it on the linux side as well, only the cd doesn't run with linux so I downloaded the propriety driver from online.

I'm attempting to go through some startup script and edit them if I can find the correct one that does that and add in some lines, however I don't really know at this point which it is. I did find one at etc/X11/ called default-display-manager. The only thing written in it is /usr/bin/kdm.
    Last edited by animedragon67; January 10th, 2011 at 02:26 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Please read/follow the guide carefully.

In your case, the files concerning both possible ways are
    - for xorg.conf: /etc/X11/xorg.conf
    - for xrandr: /etc/kde4/kdm/Xsetup

You should also make sure that you run the best possible/correct video driver.
    Check in the KDE-equivalent of "System -> Administration -> Additional Drivers", if it offers you a proprietary driver for your card/chip.

If you have an older ATI card/chip, which isn't supported by the proprietary drivers anymore, the Open Source Edge Drivers are currently the best solution:
    http://wiki.cchtml.com/index.php/Ubu...e_Edge_Drivers
    (look below that section to get to a list of now unsupported video cards/chips)

Beans

II should mention that I'm still learning how to use linux terminal so I don't really know how to use xrandr, I have made changes in some files before using kate but there was already things written in the file and all I had to do was change a few words.
    Greatly appreciated if it could be explained to me how exactly I should use xrandr to make these changes.

I have looked around and cannot for the life of me find the equivalent of "System -> Administration -> Additional Drivers". Even did a search online and didn't find anything.
    Last edited by animedragon67; January 14th, 2011 at 02:43 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast