Thread: Possible glitch in GIMP's dialog boxes

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Possible glitch in GIMP's dialog boxes

I want to run this by the forum before filing a bug report since it may be an easy fix that I'm just not aware of and can't find.

First some background:

Lenovo Thinkpad x61 tablet
    Xubuntu 10.10 64-bit
    Gimp 2.6.10
    xf86-input-wacom 0.10.8
    three (3) pointing devices total
    ---wacom
    ---thinkpad trackpoint
    ---logitech G5

While using GIMP, several of the dialog boxes have an odd problem, including Save and Preferences. When I open the Save dialog, no mouse inputs (any of the three) are received unless I first hover over the open image and the brush/tool/etc registers on the image.

These steps reproduce the problem:

1. Open new image.
    2. Click File then Save, do not hover over the image window itself.
    3. The Save dialog box does not receive mouse inputs.
    4. Move the Save dialog out of the way and hover over the image briefly so that the tool registers and the mouse pointer changes.
    5. Go back to the Save dialog and now mouse inputs are received.

This glitch does not arise if the Save dialog is opened via keyboard commands.

Is there a setting I need to change, or should I report this as a bug?
    Last edited by SnickerSnack; January 8th, 2011 at 04:33 AM.
    xubuntu 64-bit 11.10: AMD Phenom II x4 970 @3.5GHz, GSkill 8GB 1333MHz CAS7, Gigabyte HD Radeon 6850 OC 1GB GDDR5 256-bit, Gigabyte GA-990FXA UD3, CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO, Seasonic 620W Bronze, CoolerMaster HAF 912, Samsung 23" LED LCD

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Possible glitch in GIMP's dialog boxes

It might be related to this: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...mp/+bug/556670 I have the same computer as you (though I’m running Ubuntu 10.10 i386), and I have a similar-but-worse problem. (I’m “Tina Russell” on the bug report)

Beans
    Distro

Thanks for your reply. I've commented on that bug report.
    xubuntu 64-bit 11.10: AMD Phenom II x4 970 @3.5GHz, GSkill 8GB 1333MHz CAS7, Gigabyte HD Radeon 6850 OC 1GB GDDR5 256-bit, Gigabyte GA-990FXA UD3, CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO, Seasonic 620W Bronze, CoolerMaster HAF 912, Samsung 23" LED LCD

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I wonder if adding "Linux Input" to the Input Controllers options in GIMP might help? I was having this trouble today and that seems to have solved the issue at least temporarily. I'll see.

-Seth
    Ubuntu 11.04 Desktop 32 on Gateway MX6425 laptop, 11.04 on custom-built desktop PC
    1GB of DDR RAM | 2GB of DDR RAM
    AMD Turion 64 | Athlon XP 3200
    250GB hard drive, | 1TB HD + 500GB HD

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by sethtriggs View Post
    I wonder if adding "Linux Input" to the Input Controllers options in GIMP might help? I was having this trouble today and that seems to have solved the issue at least temporarily. I'll see.

-Seth
    That doesn't seem to make any change for me.

What settings did you use? I get "State: Device not available: Permission denied" for any device I try.

Thanks for replying.

Beans

I experience this also.

In my case, having the extended input device 'wacom bamboo1 stylus' set to anything besides disabled presents the issue, regardless of the state of the other extended input device 'wacom bamboo1 cursor'. Disabling the wacom-stylus while leaving the wacom-cursor enabled allows me to open and use dialogues with the wacom tablet without issues, but at the cost of pressure sensitivity (because the stylus is disabled).

I've had the issue in Kubuntu/Ubuntu 10.10 64-bit and openSUSE 11.2 32-bit, on two different computers but using the same graphics tablet.