Thread: Feedback on Desktop Components

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Feedback on Desktop Components

Hi guys,

After some research and help from a few people I have come up with the following components for a Linux Box I will build in a few weeks. Anybody care to give some feedback?

Gigabyte GA-890GPA-UD3H
    Phenom II X6 1100T 3.3GHZ Black Edition
    Patriot Viper Xtreme Kit 2x4GB DDR3-RAM 1600MHz CL7
    XFX Radeon HD 5770 1GB DDR5
    OCZ 120GB SATAII Vertex 2 3.5"
    Western Digital AV-GP 2TB 64MB SATA 3.5IN WD20EURS
    Lite-On iHBS112-37 12x BDRW
    Enermax Pro87+ Gold - 500 Watt
    Lian Li PC-8NB Midi-Tower (black)

Also: how come they mention no RPM on the WD hard-drive?

Thanks!

PS: here is a google doc with newegg links: https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?...oC&hl=en#gid=0

Beans

Re: Feedback on Desktop Components

what is phenom?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by sparkle12 View Post
    what is phenom?
    Phenom is AMD top of the line processors if your an Intel fan then you wouldn't be used to these. But they are a much better bang for your buck and AMD rocks when it comes to desktop cpu's. Another note on Phenom is they are AMD line of 3 core, 4 core and now 6 core processor the one mentioned is the 6th core.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by o891 View Post
    Hi guys,

After some research and help from a few people I have come up with the following components for a Linux Box I will build in a few weeks. Anybody care to give some feedback?

Gigabyte GA-890GPA-UD3H
    Phenom II X6 1100T 3.3GHZ Black Edition
    Patriot Viper Xtreme Kit 2x4GB DDR3-RAM 1600MHz CL7
    XFX Radeon HD 5770 1GB DDR5
    OCZ 120GB SATAII Vertex 2 3.5"
    Western Digital AV-GP 2TB 64MB SATA 3.5IN WD20EURS
    Lite-On iHBS112-37 12x BDRW
    Enermax Pro87+ Gold - 500 Watt
    Lian Li PC-8NB Midi-Tower (black)

Also: how come they mention no RPM on the WD hard-drive?

Thanks!

PS: here is a google doc with newegg links: https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?...oC&hl=en#gid=0
    Your system looks fine but I would really check out the Western Digital Hard drive chosen. I use two computer stores for all my computer needs Newegg being number 1 and tiger direct being number 2, then I have a local guy who keeps me in check. Cost wise the drive looks like a good deal, reviews are hit and miss though so just be aware that you may have to rma a few of them. Don't get me wrong I love Western Digital and your choice of motherboards is a great option for any system. I also noticed your using two hard drives, I am assuming one is for your system and the other is for backup and data? Keep your video card just teh way you have it, its a great card. I am going to be posting a new build on here as well for recommendations so please if you have feed back I would greatly appreciate it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Quote Originally Posted by tgaston34 View Post
    Your system looks fine but I would really check out the Western Digital Hard drive chosen. I use two computer stores for all my computer needs Newegg being number 1 and tiger direct being number 2, then I have a local guy who keeps me in check. Cost wise the drive looks like a good deal, reviews are hit and miss though so just be aware that you may have to rma a few of them. Don't get me wrong I love Western Digital and your choice of motherboards is a great option for any system. I also noticed your using two hard drives, I am assuming one is for your system and the other is for backup and data?
    Thanks for the feedback. Actually the HDD is the one I was least sure about. It is one of those Audio-Video drives...meaning (from what i understand) that it will tolerate errors (because that is good for security videos for example). But are they good for documents, code, music....etc? I dont know...

And thing is I cant actually buy of newegg as i am in switzerland...

Quote Originally Posted by tgaston34 View Post
    I am going to be posting a new build on here as well for recommendations so please if you have feed back I would greatly appreciate it.
    Good because the only build recommendations I could find were either way too old or of the "linux box under 150$" kind...not much use if you are going for a high end system