Thread: Speech Recognition

Beans

Speech Recognition

Although this kind of thing is useful to those with impairments, I've put it here because I couldn't find anywhere else. Point me in the right direction if this has been mentioned before. I'll also point out that, although I'm a fairly fast learner and generally keep trying 'til I get it right, I'm no programming wiz. Don't be afraid to be technical, though.

Is anyone working on a project for programmable voice control? The kind of thing where a software command (say, close windows, reboot, activate peripheral device, etc) can be activated by a personalised verbal command?

Ultimately, I want to get to the level of a very basic version of AI so it can operate my closed network for a number of different functions, like stream video to my TVs and turn on the kettle (after I install the right hardware, I mean. I don't know anyone who's kettle comes standard with WiFi). I want it to be automated at some stage, as well.

I'll be starting small: computer commands with basic networking. I know there's a guy (Chad Barraford, kudos) who has made himself Jarvis off Iron Man, and he's releasing the software at some stage for a price (but I think the open-source community is capable of an equal or greater version?). Is anyone with the skill interested?

Zankao

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Speech Recognition

Last edited by robert shearer; January 7th, 2011 at 10:58 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by robert shearer View Post
    ...should have done a little more research, I suppose?

Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by zankao View Post
    ...should have done a little more research, I suppose?

Thanks
    The forums search engine is very poor so not surprising you didn't find it.

For better searches it is useful to use the following in your favourite browser...
    Code:
    site:ubuntuforums.org <search terms>
    eg..site:ubuntuforums.org Speech Recognition in Google... returns about 694 results (0.17 seconds) of which Vedics is the third hit.
    (that's just hits for the ubuntu forums only )

cheers, Bob.