Thread: How to install Aspell Language Dictionaries for Abiword in Ubuntu 10.10

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Lightbulb How to install Aspell Language Dictionaries for Abiword in Ubuntu 10.10

I searched the web on how to install another language dictionary for Abiword, all I got was cryptic instructions that where way too geeky to follow, extract this, make file this blah blah blah. I don't understand this silly mentality of developers....please make it simple, you do not need to have a computer degree to do this!!!

Luckily Ubuntu is making things easier. So here I'm sharing an easy way to do it just using Ubuntu Software Centre. The key here is knowing what to type in the search box.

After you have installed the dictionaries that you need, just Start Abiword, go to Tools > Set Language... > Choose the language that you want to use for the session.

Method One (fastest method)
    Start Ubuntu Software Centre....Go to Applications > Ubuntu Software Centre, in the search box type gnu aspell. All dictionaries should be listed.
    Select the dictionary you need, and click install. How easy can it get!!!

Note: This needs to be fixed, since when I searched for aspell in Ubuntu Software Centre nothing comes up....not even a hint pointing me to the right direction, instead it assumes that you know the correct name for the application....gnu aspell.

Method Two (longer but I discovered some other errors that need to be fixed)
    Start Ubuntu Software Centre....Go to Applications > Ubuntu Software Centre, in the search box type the name for the dictionary you need.
    Here is an alphabetical list of all available dictionaries for GNU Aspell and what you need to search for in Ubuntu Software Centre.

Dictionary Search for

A
    Africaans dictionary aspell-af
    Amharic dictionary aspell-am
    Arabic dictionary aspell-ar
    Arabic Large dictionary aspell-ar-large
    Armenian dictionary aspell-hy

B
    Basque (Euskera) dictionary aspell-eu-es
    Bengali dictionary aspell-bn
    Bulgarian dictionary aspell-bg
    Breton dictionary aspell-br

C
    Catalan dictionary aspell-ca
    Croatian dictionary aspell-hr
    Czech dictionary aspell-cs

D
    Danish Comprehensive dictionary aspell-da
    Dutch dictionary aspell-nl

E
    English dictionary aspell-en
    Esperanto dictionary aspell-eo
    Estonian dictionary aspell-et

F
    Faroese dictionary aspell-fo
    Finnish dictionary aspell-fi
    French dictionary aspell-fr

G
    German dictionary aspell-de
    German dictionary (old spelling) aspell-de-alt
    Greek dictionary aspell-el
    Gujarati dictionary aspell-gu

H
    Hebrew dictionary aspell-he
    Hindi dictionary aspell-hi
    Hungarian dictionary aspell-hu

I
    Icelandic dictionary aspell-is
    Irish (Gaeilge) dictionary aspell-ga
    Italian dictionary aspell-it

J

K
    Kurdish dictionary aspell-ku

L
    Latvian dictionary aspell-lv
    Lithuanian dictionary aspell-it

M
    Malayalam dictionary aspell-ml
    Marathi dictionary aspell-mr

N
    Ndebele dictionary aspell-nr
    Norwegian dictionary aspell-no

O
    Oriya dictionary aspell-or

P
    Portuguese dictionaries aspell-pt
    Portuguese Brazilian dictionary aspell-pt-br
    Portuguese European dictionary aspell-pt-pt
    Persian dictionary aspell-fa
    Polish dictionary aspell-pl
    Punjabi dictionary aspell-pa

Q

R
    Romanian dictionary aspell-ro
    Russian dictionary aspell-ru

S
    Slovak dictionary aspell-sk
    Slovenian dictionary aspell-sl
    Sorbian Upper dictionary aspell-hsb
    Sotho Northern dictionary aspell-ns
    Sotho Southern dictionary aspell-st
    Spanish dictionary aspell-es
    Swazi dictionary aspell-ss
    Swedish dictionary aspell-sv

T
    Tagalog dictionary aspell-tl
    Tamil dictionary aspell-ta
    Telugu dictionary aspell-te
    Tsonga dictionary aspel-ts
    Tswana dictionary aspel-tn

U
    Ukranian dictionary aspell-uk
    Uzbeck dictionary aspell-uz

V

W
    Welsh dictionary aspell-cy

X
    Xhosa dictionary aspell-xh

Y

Z
    Zulu dictionary aspell-zu

Note: The Italian dictionary (aspell-it) the Oriya dictionary (aspell-or) and the German dictionary (aspell-de) do not show up correctly in Ubuntu Software Centre when you individually search for them.

For the German dictionary aspell-de the solution is to search aspell-de-alt and Ubuntu Software Centre will show you aspell-de where you can install it.

For the Italian and Oriya dictionaries you will need to either use method one or use Synaptic Package Manager instead to install those dictionaries until this is fixed.

To Use Synaptic Package Manager Go to...
    System > Administration > Synaptic Package Manager. Type your password, in search type the above dictionaries, click on the box to put an x, hit the apply button.

If you want to install Aspell documentation search for aspell-doc in Ubuntu Software Centre. The documentation is web page based, therefore start Firefox and in the address bar copy and paste the following to see it.
    file:///usr/share/doc/aspell-doc/aspell.html/index.html

In case you were not aware All Programs documentation is placed in the user (usr) share directory under the Doc folder.

Note:
    Again there is a problem here that needs to be fixed, Ubuntu Software Centre should tell you where the documentation will be installed, yet it doesn't.

What is Aspell?
    GNU Aspell is a spell checker designed to eventually replace Ispell. It can either be used as a library or as an independent spell checker. Its main feature is that it does a much better job of suggesting possible replacements for a misspelled word than just about any other spell checker out there for the English language. Unlike Ispell, Aspell can also easily check documents in UTF-8 without having to use a special dictionary. Aspell will also do its best to respect the current locale setting. Other advantages over Ispell include support for using multiple dictionaries at once and intelligently handling personal dictionaries when more than one Aspell process is open at once.

Hope you found this helpful!!

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Re: How to install Aspell Language Dictionaries for Abiword in Ubuntu 10.10

Thanks a lot. I was looking for that info. Now I have my German spellcheck dictionary in AbiWord. I just typed "German aspell" in the search box of the software center.