Thread: video card recommendations

Hybrid View

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

video card recommendations

Ubuntu Newbie needs video card recommendations:

I am requesting recommendations for video cards for my desk top computer. We are interested in Internet TV streaming and DVD / internet movie watching. The TV is a Samsung 350 Series 3 with D-Sub and HDMI cable connectors. We are not involved gaming or high end graphics / gaming.

The details on the ‘box’: Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala on a IBM Thinkcenter 8141 [model 8141-3NU]. The Thinkcenter has Pentium 3.3GHZ with Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 900. There are full length 16 lane PCI Express and half length PCI Express card slots available.

Need recommendations on Linux compatible video cards and Linux / GNOME drivers for our ‘box’.
    thanks;
    pete f.

Beans

Re: video card recommendations

nVidia GT210/GT220. Good support, VDPAU (nvidia hardware video decoding), and not a power hungry heat producing beast. Easy to get the drivers for that card with ubuntu (system-> administration-> hardware drivers)

BTW, a video card wont help with internet video watching, as flash for linux has no hardware video decoding (its all done by the CPU).
    Last edited by cascade9; January 6th, 2011 at 02:19 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: video card recommendations

Quote Originally Posted by cascade9 View Post
    nVidia GT210/GT220. Good support, VDPAU (nvidia hardware video decoding), and not a power hungry heat producing beast. Easy to get the drivers for that card with ubuntu (system-> administration-> hardware drivers)

BTW, a video card wont help with internet video watching, as flash for linux has no hardware video decoding (its all done by the CPU).
    many thanks for the reply and suggestion;
    i will forgo a video card. how can i optimize linux 2.6.32-21 generic Flash 10.1.102.65 for streaming internet via a standard DSL?
    thanks;
    p.f.