Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 35

Thread: Gnome Nanny

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Beans
    183
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

    Gnome Nanny

    I installed Gnome Nanny. I can choose the times when the computer can be used and limit the internet. However, these times are not being enforced. Is there some other settings that are used to enforce these settings?
    Switching from Windows to Ubuntu one small step at a time

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Williams Lake
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: Gnome Nanny

    If you are using a router, you can limit connection times, block sites and set keywords.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Beans
    183
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

    Re: Gnome Nanny

    That is a good idea. However, I need it to be per user as I will still use the computer at hours when I do not want other users using it.
    Switching from Windows to Ubuntu one small step at a time

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Montana
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

    Re: Gnome Nanny

    The best way to enforce such things, IMO, is with iptables or if you prefer install squid as a transparent proxy.

    With iptables you can restrict outbound traffic per user based on many factors including time of day and destination (ip address , port, etc).

    If you need anything beyond those, next would be to use something such as dansguardian. Dansguardian needs some attention as it is impossible to ship with a set of defaults that will satisfy everyone.

    http://blog.bodhizazen.net/linux/web...ing-made-easy/
    There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth...not going all the way, and not starting.
    --Prince Gautama Siddharta

    #ubuntuforums web interface

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Beans
    183
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

    Re: Gnome Nanny

    I'll check out the iptables.


    Can you set this per user?


    Also, how do you get Firefox settings to be the same accross all users? I have to install each add-on for every new user right now. ( WOT, BetterPrivacy, NoScript )
    ( I can start a new thread if this is too far off topic. The only reason I posted here is if I am to do the iptables per user, I will create another user in Firefox for my children to use. But, then I have to set all the settings again and install the add-ons as far as I know. That isn't that hard, but if I can inherit my current Firefox settings from the one user, that would be great )



    Quote Originally Posted by bodhi.zazen View Post
    The best way to enforce such things, IMO, is with iptables or if you prefer install squid as a transparent proxy.

    With iptables you can restrict outbound traffic per user based on many factors including time of day and destination (ip address , port, etc).

    If you need anything beyond those, next would be to use something such as dansguardian. Dansguardian needs some attention as it is impossible to ship with a set of defaults that will satisfy everyone.

    http://blog.bodhizazen.net/linux/web...ing-made-easy/
    Last edited by toolmania1; January 3rd, 2011 at 06:56 PM. Reason: Added note about Firefox
    Switching from Windows to Ubuntu one small step at a time

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Beans
    183
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

    Re: Gnome Nanny

    I set up dansguardian using the instructions you proveded. Howdo I configure what it blocks and does not block now along with any other configuration settings?
    Switching from Windows to Ubuntu one small step at a time

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Montana
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

    Re: Gnome Nanny

    Quote Originally Posted by toolmania1 View Post
    I set up dansguardian using the instructions you proveded. Howdo I configure what it blocks and does not block now along with any other configuration settings?
    What are you wanting to configure ? Dansguardian / web content ?

    For that you could configure either dansguardian or privoxy, either will work. Privoxy uses filtering and regular expressions.

    http://www.privoxy.org/user-manual/quickstart.html

    http://dansguardian.org/?page=documentation

    If you want to limit all access, by user, by time either use squid or easier use iptables.

    http://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/iptabl...me-of-day.html

    Note: I find iptables works best by user by time for the OUTPUT chain.

    Other then that, you may need to be more specific with your questions. What are you trying to configure and where did you get stuck ?
    There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth...not going all the way, and not starting.
    --Prince Gautama Siddharta

    #ubuntuforums web interface

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Beans
    183
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

    Re: Gnome Nanny

    I did not start yet. I went to that dans guardian page, but was not sure what to configure since I many of those posts are for other set ups like squid.


    I am going to do some of the iptables this weekend, or at least try...lol


    The links you provided are helpful. I will look at the privoxy later also. That seems like that will be a good idea.


    Can you limit the amount of time a user is allowed to use the coimputer using either: dansguardian, privoxy, iptables?


    I also installed gnome nanny and that has options for limiting time. But, I could not get it to work yet. I set it up, but the computer and internet are still usable.


    Quote Originally Posted by bodhi.zazen View Post
    What are you wanting to configure ? Dansguardian / web content ?

    For that you could configure either dansguardian or privoxy, either will work. Privoxy uses filtering and regular expressions.

    http://www.privoxy.org/user-manual/quickstart.html

    http://dansguardian.org/?page=documentation

    If you want to limit all access, by user, by time either use squid or easier use iptables.

    http://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/iptabl...me-of-day.html

    Note: I find iptables works best by user by time for the OUTPUT chain.

    Other then that, you may need to be more specific with your questions. What are you trying to configure and where did you get stuck ?
    Switching from Windows to Ubuntu one small step at a time

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Beans
    183
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

    Re: Gnome Nanny

    So, I set up the iptables that you had listed on the other post you had for your blog. Then, on one user pointing to port 8118, I can access the privoxy site listed below. On the limited user, pointing to port 8080, I cannot access the privoxy site listed below since dansguardian blocked it. I am also not sure why it was blocked because it seems to be a legimate site.

    So, on to the next item. I cannot even find where I can configure anything for dansgaurdian. I don't have anything for it under "Parental Control" under Administration. I looked on that documentation page for dansguardian, but they are all different set ups. Is there a file I look at, or a menu item under System -. Administration or something like that?

    Thanks for the help so far. This is pretty fun!


    Quote Originally Posted by bodhi.zazen View Post
    What are you wanting to configure ? Dansguardian / web content ?

    For that you could configure either dansguardian or privoxy, either will work. Privoxy uses filtering and regular expressions.

    http://www.privoxy.org/user-manual/quickstart.html

    http://dansguardian.org/?page=documentation

    If you want to limit all access, by user, by time either use squid or easier use iptables.

    http://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/iptabl...me-of-day.html

    Note: I find iptables works best by user by time for the OUTPUT chain.

    Other then that, you may need to be more specific with your questions. What are you trying to configure and where did you get stuck ?
    Switching from Windows to Ubuntu one small step at a time

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Montana
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

    Re: Gnome Nanny

    It takes a little time and reading to learn these tools, no doubt about it.

    I can not always follow from your posting style what you are trying to configure (web content, access by time of day, etc) and what tool you want help with (iptables, privoxy, or dansguardian).

    Basically read the config files, they are well commented.

    See also:

    http://linsec.ca/bin/view/Main/DansGuardian
    There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth...not going all the way, and not starting.
    --Prince Gautama Siddharta

    #ubuntuforums web interface

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •