Thread: Dell Duo Setup Guide

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Dell Duo Setup Guide

Quote Originally Posted by joey-elijah View Post
    Multi-touch or no?
    Multi touch is the biggest hindrance right now. Sad thing is the manufacturer isn't willing to help us.
    "When our actions do not, our fears do make us traitors." -- Shakespeare
    "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not!" -- Dr. Seuss

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Ok so I found this guide for setting up 10.10 for egalax touchscreen. So far I'm unable to get it to work right but I figured the more people I have trying it the better chance we have at getting it to work.

http://samiux.blogspot.com/2010/11/h...touchnote.html

I would recommend trying it on a clean install. I have a feeling the reason its not working properly for me is because I already have the Egalax Driver controlling my screen.

Good luck to everyone
    "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not!" -- Dr. Seuss

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I think the screen might be a different model on that guy's machine... either that, or he doesn't have multitouch either and he doesn't know he should. Check it out:

Step 7 (Optional) :

Get uTouch (Multi-touch). However, this netbook does not support multi-touch. The following procedure does not causing harm to your system anyway.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by ninjaaron View Post
    I think the screen might be a different model on that guy's machine... either that, or he doesn't have multitouch either and he doesn't know he should. Check it out:
    I think he is implying that Multi-touch should work but it doesn't on his because of hardware limitations. (Thats the only reason I can figure why he would add the multi-touch part)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by Caboose885 View Post
    I think he is implying that Multi-touch should work but it doesn't on his because of hardware limitations. (Thats the only reason I can figure why he would add the multi-touch part)
    I'm not really a computer guy per se, but if he has the same screen, doesn't that mean there is no hardware limitation? It seems to me that if he does have the same screen but has never had multi-touch, it is because his computer probably came with Windows 7 Starter, which doesn't have software support for multi-touch... just like Ubuntu... still...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

I tried the solution, but it didn't work. I think he has a different display model as the identifier used for usbquirks is different than the one used for the Duo.

Beans

Hi guys,

I had received my Duo from two or three months ago and had planned to migrate o Linux before the purchase.

I'm still surving with Windows 'till now, and I'm following the advances on this forum.

But I'm really tired with Windows. So, I aks: is this the right time to migrate? If so, wich version 10.04 or 11.04 ?

Thanks in advance!

Raphael Saldanha
    Brazil

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by raphaelsaldanha View Post
    Hi guys,

I had received my Duo from two or three months ago and had planned to migrate o Linux before the purchase.

I'm still surving with Windows 'till now, and I'm following the advances on this forum.

But I'm really tired with Windows. So, I aks: is this the right time to migrate? If so, wich version 10.04 or 11.04 ?

Thanks in advance!

Raphael Saldanha
    Brazil
    Anytime is a good time to migrate to Ubuntu

Seriously though, I use Ubuntu all the time even though I can't fully utilze my Duo features. The only big thing you will be missing with the Duo and Ubuntu is multi-touch. If that doesn't bother you then go right on ahead and install Ubuntu. (I recommend dual-booting 10.04 and Windows)

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Smile Re: Dell Duo Setup Guide

I think that dual booting would be a great idea but I think that you should dual boot 10.10 and windows. We have made more progress with 10.10 than we have 10.04 at least that I am aware of.
    "I am what I am because of who we all are." - Leymah Gbowee

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by raphaelsaldanha View Post
    Hi guys,

Thanks in advance!

Raphael Saldanha
    Brazil
    Depends on what you want to do. Here is a thought 10.04 is very stable and will be supported until April 2013. Maverick 10.10 is also a pretty stable version but support will end April 2012..

Here's another thought install both and triple boot.. Or do like me and spend hours each day updating 7 or 8 flavors. I just like to see where Ubuntu is headed and my main operating version is still Lucid 10.04,,

One other thing to consider Gnome 2 is fast becoming history.. So you will have Unity or Gnome 3 in the future.

Too many things to consider I know.. In the end ..I recommend Lucid 10.04 to learn on.
    Boot Info Script
    Ubuntu User number is # 32763
    Linux User number is # 527179

Page 52 of 76 FirstFirst ... 242505152535462 ... LastLast