Page 12 of 76 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262 ... LastLast

Thread: Dell Duo Setup Guide

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: Dell Duo Setup Guide

Android 1.6? Forget that, they have a special build specifically for the Duo codenamed "Sparta". Try it out! Nightly builds: http://android-x86.moonman.dk/...
    I have this on a USB stick and it boots and runs just fine.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by DFarmerTX View Post
    Android 1.6? Forget that, they have a special build specifically for the Duo codenamed "Sparta". Try it out! Nightly builds: http://android-x86.moonman.dk/...
    I have this on a USB stick and it boots and runs just fine.
    Everything runs properly on it?
    "When our actions do not, our fears do make us traitors." -- Shakespeare
    "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not!" -- Dr. Seuss

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by Caboose885 View Post
    Well, as much as they have working for a PC with x86. There's no official market of course, but I'm sure it could be hacked into the system easily enough.

And no phone. But for what it is, it's pretty cool. The touch screen works fine, as does the wireless, so you can surf the net, etc.

It's interesting. I think Android 3 may be a contender, if it's truly built for tablets. Until then, I'll check in on the updates for this 2.2 version occasionally.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by Kallun View Post
    @ninjaaron - I did try and remove Emerald but that just made the window decorations disappear it wasn't fun, and I did check to ensure that decorative windows was enables in compiz settings manager. Un-installed and re-installed compiz but still had the same issue been looking around on Google and haven't found much unfortunately, I really do like the default Ambiance theme, so it'd be ideal to stick with that. But I suppose right now, I can keep it simple, nothing fancy, we have bigger fish to fry!
    Ok, got it.

open synaptic. You can apparently install:

compiz
    compiz-gnome
    compiz-kde

If you have any if those but compiz-gnome installed, switch it.

Once you are running compiz-gnome, run the command "gtk-window-decorator --replace"

BAM!

I'm not sure if gtk will remain the default after this or not. I think it will, but if you want to make double sure, go to the compiz settings manager>window decorations, and change the 'Command' to what I just gave you above.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Caboose885 View Post
    Everything except the productivity software...

Beans

Whey! Thanks ninjaaron! It's working perfect now

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Ninjaaron: I saw your post on the YouTube video for installing an ssd in the duo did you install one?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Smile Re: Dell Duo Setup Guide

I just finished installing an SSD on my Duo and I thought I would post some results. The process was not very difficult if you have ever taken apart a laptop before this was probably the easiest I have had. There are also two internal batteries in the front left and front right that are very easy to remove if you ever have to replace them.

The battery on my Duo at 100% with the 320gb 7200RPM Hitachi HDD at most peaked on the battery indicator at 2:50.

The battery at 100% with a 60gb OCZ agility II SSD peaked on the battery indicator at 3:20.

Boot time with the Hitachi in ubuntu 10.10 netbook edition with automatic login. Timed from the time I hit the power button to the time the desktop appeared was 34.8 seconds.

Boot time with the OCZ SSD was 23.6 seconds!

If any one is interested I recommend this Video for installing the SSD and this Thread for setting up the SSD in ubuntu. Which guide you follow is up to you there are two links on the page.

The buffered disk reads on the SSD were 255.9 mb/sec at the peak. and I did not do it on the HDD I forgot so if anyone is willing to post what there's is on the Hitachi it would be appreciated.

Code:
     sudo hdparm -t /dev/sda

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by w1ll1am View Post
    I just finished installing an SSD on my Duo and I thought I would post some results. The process was not very difficult if you have ever taken apart a laptop before this was probably the easiest I have had. There are also two internal batteries in the front left and front right that are very easy to remove if you ever have to replace them.

The battery on my Duo at 100% with the 320gb 7200RPM Hitachi HDD at most peaked on the battery indicator at 2:50.

The battery at 100% with a 60gb OCZ agility II SSD peaked on the battery indicator at 3:20.

Boot time with the Hitachi in ubuntu 10.10 netbook edition with automatic login. Timed from the time I hit the power button to the time the desktop appeared was 34.8 seconds.

Boot time with the OCZ SSD was 23.6 seconds!

If any one is interested I recommend this Video for installing the SSD and this Thread for setting up the SSD in ubuntu. Which guide you follow is up to you there are two links on the page.

The buffered disk reads on the SSD were 255.9 mb/sec at the peak. and I did not do it on the HDD I forgot so if anyone is willing to post what there's is on the Hitachi it would be appreciated.

Code:
     sudo hdparm -t /dev/sda
    Nice...and you can always buy an enclosure for the old hard drive and make it a nice external.

Duo--82.32 MB/sec for the 7200 RPM Hitachi
    Desktop--160 MB/sec for 2 7200 Seagates in RAID 0.

Moral of the story is I need two SSD in RAID 0. haha
    Last edited by Caboose885; January 13th, 2011 at 04:18 PM. Reason: Drive specs
    "When our actions do not, our fears do make us traitors." -- Shakespeare
    "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not!" -- Dr. Seuss

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by w1ll1am View Post
    Ninjaaron: I saw your post on the YouTube video for installing an ssd in the duo did you install one?
    No, I haven't. Cool that you have. I would really like to, but I'm not in the financial situation where I can do that. The duo itself was a gift.

On the other hand, if anyone is donating SSD's to poor students, you know where to find me

Page 12 of 76 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262 ... LastLast