Thread: How to remove Gnome?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Smile How to remove Gnome?

I am using ubuntu 10.10 and i recently installed the xubuntu xfce desktop on my computer and i like the xfce desktop more than the gnome.So now i want to completely remove the gnome environment and the bundled applications.How do i do that safely?please help.Thanks in advance.
    Never trust someone named GATES who sells WINDOWS.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: How to remove Gnome?

The Ubuntu version of Xfce depends on a lot of gnome libraries, so removing gnome would break your system.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu UNR

You don't need to usually un-install the software either, normally it's just a case of switching.
    Ravenshade

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Beans

You cannot unscramble a dozen eggs... sorry.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenshade View Post
    You don't need to usually un-install the software either, normally it's just a case of switching.
    kay,but wont my pc get kinda slow if i keep both desktop environments?I can see a lot of gnome processes still running on the xfce environment.These are my computer specs- Intel atom 1.66Ghz dual core,1GB DDR2 ram.
    Last edited by Aero_Zeppelin; January 2nd, 2011 at 03:51 PM. Reason: typo

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Simply download burn and install xubuntu in place of ubuntu ! and no, having both environments will not slow down your rig, They are simply window managers! I have more than ten ( 10 ) on mine with no issues !
    johnnyg713
    Ultimate Edition,We are World Wide and Growing !
    http://ultimateedition.info/
    http://www.ultimateeditionoz.com/for...hp?f=36&t=2387

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Arindam Momin View Post
    kay,but wont my pc get kinda slow if i keep both desktop environments?I can see a lot of gnome processes still running on the xfce environment.These are my computer specs- Intel atom 1.66Ghz dual core,1GB DDR2 ram.
    Xfce uses a lot of Gnome processes, so removing the non-Xfce Gnome elements won't help you there.

Also, having Gnome installed does not use more RAM, as you will be using only one desktop environment at a time. All removing it will do is free up hard drive space (and not even that much space).

Beans
    Distro

Hmm..In that case, I will keep both of the environments.Thanks.

Beans

Maybe it wasn't the KDE install that DRAMATICALLY slowed down my system...BUT, the moment KDE was installed this old 'puter began dragging rear end.
    That's why I was searching this space for methods to remove GNOME. Because KDE has a Windows familiarity it's the one I want to use. But if getting rid of GNOME breaks my system, I guess I'm just screwed. It's okay, though...I'm accustomed to being screwed. Professor MR. BILL has taught me how to grin and bear it. And I'm an "A+++" student: I bought a Gateway laptop in 2005 that had the VISTA demon pre-installed. I did eventually beat 'em when I learned how to use nLITE to put XP on the laptop. Ever since I've been at war with BILL and his zombies.

I'm a beginner who has always wanted to try Linux, so I installed Ubuntu 10.10 a few days ago on
    a spare machine, a Compaq EVO510, to which I added a new 320GB IDE(PATA) hard drive.
    So, if the slowdown wasn't induced by having both KDE & GNOME installed, then what was it?
    No other changes were made to the machine.

THANX