Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Version 0.24 - your thoughts

Beans

Version 0.24 - your thoughts

Hi,

So I've been running MythTV/Mythbuntu since 2008 and always followed the leading edge (daily builds then fixes branch). Since 23.1 I've not bothered with updating.

So my question is, all of you running 0.24, what do you think of it? Are there any real reasons to upgrade? It's not like there's a killer feature like VDPAU in version 23 or 22 with the JYA backports).

Regards
    Ian Dobson
    Walking on water and writing software to specification is easy if they're frozen.

My corner of the internet http://www.planet-ian.com

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Version 0.24 - your thoughts

I've very recently upgraded to JYA 0.24+fixes ppa from 0.23+fixes compiled source.
    The upgrade delay was due to lack of LATM_AAC in 0.24 until ffmpeg finally added support.

There is no one killer feature unless you are into blueray etc.
    But I think there has been a huge amount of work done.

The improvements I hoped for were DVD playback (big improvement) & A/V sync offsets stored in database (not sure).
    The audio configuration stuff is very nice to use.

So 0.23+fixes was so good that upgrade was only forced by DVD issues..
    And 0.24 does so many things I can not currently use..

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

The audio change is a big + for me. All versions before .24 I had to turn my volume up 100% to hear it well. Now my volume is at 40% and that is loud. Also I like the database backup feature (I don't think that is mythtv related but more mythbuntu). I don't like the removal of dvd ripping but I have substituted Makemkv. Mythweb has problems but I think it is going to be fixed in an upcoming patch (if .24 is installed from scratch, upgrading works ok). My remote, snapstream, isn't supported in lirc any more. You have to set it up as a ati/x10 and the remote quits working at random but not as much lately (that could be due to upgrades).

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

for me there is no killer feature. It has some enhancements to HD-PVR support which is one reason I upgraded. The Internal player seems to get better with every release with handling random files with various encoding methods from various sources, and I have noticed more improvements here too. I think this release is close to completely allowing me to rely on the Internal player in mythvideo.

There are some cool (but incomplete) themes out there for .24, but the OSD being completely tied to the theme now is a detriment for some.
    Linux & MythTV 4 Life
    Running ubuntu on an Atom 330, Atom D525, Turion 64 X2 TL-56, X2 3800, X2 4200, X2 4600, E2180, Core i5 450M, and a Core i7-2600
    My Hardware

Beans

I've not saw a "got to" reason to upgrade - but with that said I really like the UI interface - and as the previous poster said the internal player does get better. Not sure if I'm ready to say goodbye to mplayer for my movies but this version does come closer to the idea...

Beans

Hi,

So the main thing is the nice UI, that's not a killer function for me. I just want to watch videos not play with menus.

I'm quite happy with how the internal player works. I've only found afew mkv's that don't play that well, and they didn't play too well on my windows box.

So, I'll stay with 23.1 until the next ubuntu update (11.04).

Thanks for the information

Ian Dobson
    Walking on water and writing software to specification is easy if they're frozen.

Beans

Storage groups now play .iso and Video_TS...no more local file systems for those...'nuff said right there for me to have upgraded . Audio is vastly better and the UI is all nicer.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by newlinux View Post
    There are some cool (but incomplete) themes out there for .24, but the OSD being completely tied to the theme now is a detriment for some.
    yup, me included.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by uncle hammy View Post
    Storage groups now play .iso and Video_TS...no more local file systems for those...'nuff said right there for me to have upgraded . Audio is vastly better and the UI is all nicer.
    Hi,

I've got no problems with a network mount (I need them for other things) and I don't have any DVD rips, only afew mkv's. I'm using HDMI to my TV for audio, so would that make any difference for me?

Regards
    Ian Dobson

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Quote Originally Posted by ian dobson View Post
    Hi,

I've got no problems with a network mount (I need them for other things) and I don't have any DVD rips, only afew mkv's. I'm using HDMI to my TV for audio, so would that make any difference for me?

Regards
    Ian Dobson
    As I stated before the sound is greatly enhanced.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast