Thread: Problem with GUI

Beans

Problem with GUI

using ubuntu 9.04
    Had a sudden problrm wherein the GUI has been lost..
    On starting i reach commont line login prompt..

Since i have ubuntu 9.04 DVD, tried to reinstall, but to no good..Still getting command line prompt..

Any help on how to restore GUI

pkj

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Problem with GUI

try typing:
    startx
    in the command line, then press enter.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Your main problem is that 9.04 has now passed end-of-life, which means that even if you manage to repair it, there will be no upgrades or software available from the routine repositories.

A couple of questions: when you say "tried to reinstall", did you finish reinstalling and still get no GUI, or did the reinstallation not finish? You were presumably getting the GUI once - did anything in particular happen just before the loss of the GUI? Did you change any hardware, or install anything? If you boot the live DVD, can you get a GUI?

Your best option in any event may be to rescue any personal data and reinstall with a newer, supported version of Ubuntu. What hardware do you have?
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

give a try with latest version..
    Dasan

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by pkj View Post
    using ubuntu 9.04
    Had a sudden problrm wherein the GUI has been lost..
    On starting i reach commont line login prompt..

Since i have ubuntu 9.04 DVD, tried to reinstall, but to no good..Still getting command line prompt..

Any help on how to restore GUI

pkj
    I know that this may sound silly,... But when it gets to the command line prompt for log in, go for coffee, go for a pee etc. I use 10.04lts and some times when it is booting up I get the command line prompt. It seems to last forever and I have rebooted etc, But I have found that, on my machine at least, it will wait at the prompt for a while then continue to boot.This is not the first installatiopn I have done where this has happened. Give it a try. I won't guarrantee anything but it might work oddly enough.

my machine
    amd phenomII 965
    8gig ddr2
    gigabyte mobo w/780 amd northbridge
    evga gts450 video card
    YES you can play W.O.W. on ubuntu!!