Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PC World talking linux again

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

PC World talking linux again

They seem to talk about it an awful lot lately (Still in the business section)

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscente..._to_linux.html

You wake up one day and realize you're tired of paying for an operating system that's more bogged down with bugs than most alpha builds are. What, exactly, are you paying for here? Then, of course, there's also all the antivirus software you have to buy to keep it running. With Linux, on the other hand, countless developers around the world are working around the clock to keep the 100 percent free operating system at the head of its class.
    Your older hardware probably still is fundamentally pretty good; too bad there's all that malware dragging it down. Thanks for sharing that love, Windows! Note to Microsoft: a stronger permissions system would have been a lot better, just FYI.
    Is Linux perfect? Certainly not. But it is a lot better than Windows in so many ways. Isn't it time for you to finally make the switch?
    MY KID <<<<<<

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: PC World talking linux again

Interesting link, thanks

Linux in business makes perfect sense to me. I use Ubuntu at home for my accounts, correspondence, internet access, design, you name it! Solid and dependeble and no legal issues with using the software. I even use it live now for my gigs!

It still pains me that for my day job I'm still stuck with using MS. Only a few months back my cash strapped mental health trust had to pay thousands of pounds to get 1 copy of AutoCAD LT for our estates department. I have been happily looking and modifying the same drawings at home on qcad for over 2 years for free!

So IMO not only should business look at the Linux solution but also our public services here in the UK, it could save the taxpayer a lot of money and maybe few people their jobs...

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

PCWorld are on a Linux mission at the moment. They are mainstream and people believe what they have to say so only good can come from this.
    If you believe everything you read, you better not read. ~ Japanese Proverb

If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed. - Mark Twain

Thinking about becoming an Ubuntu Member?

Beans
    Hidden!

delete
    Last edited by Spice Weasel; December 30th, 2010 at 01:07 PM.

Beans
    Distro

I don't even know what they are trying to do here by advertising Linux, but knowing that that would be a disadvantage to them (they make most of their money selling crapware) makes me instantly not trust them.
    You really don't like them do you. From browsing the newstands in the last few months, it seems that most of their bonus cd's are full of open source programs that are free off of the net
    MY KID <<<<<<

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by ronnielsen1 View Post
    You really don't like them do you. From browsing the newstands in the last few months, it seems that most of their bonus cd's are full of open source programs that are free off of the net
    Stupid moment, sorry. I just realized this was about the magazine. It's good they are promoting free software.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

l
    Last edited by matt_symes; December 30th, 2010 at 02:21 PM.
    If you believe everything you read, you better not read. ~ Japanese Proverb

If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed. - Mark Twain

Thinking about becoming an Ubuntu Member?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by Spice Weasel View Post
    Stupid moment, sorry. I just realized this was about the magazine.
    I thought that same as well (confused with the store of the same name) until I read the article

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 8.04 Hardy Heron

i've seen only K Noyes write Linux related articles
    Behold! The internet...
    My god, it's full of ads.

Beans
    Distro