Thread: Bluetooth headset and ALSA vs. PulseAudio

Beans

Question Bluetooth headset and ALSA vs. PulseAudio

I running a fresh install of Xubuntu 10.10 on an Acer Aspire 3054WXMi laptop with a 3rd-party bluetooth USB dongle plugged into the side of it. - The bluetooth side of things appears to be working OK and I can pair my Samsung SBH-500 bluetooth headset and tell it to connect the "Headset service" or "Audio sink" seemingly OK, except ... I hear nothing thru' the headset, only thru' the laptop speakers.

I have read various postings about getting it working with ALSA or with PulseAudio - PulseAudio sounds easier, but the ALSA stuff is supposed to be installed already (including bluez-alsa), but doesn't seem to be working properly.

Where shall I look next?
    Should I use ALSA or PulseAudio?

TTFN.,
    Graeme
    Xubuntu 10.10 on an Acer Aspire 3054WXMi laptop
    Xubuntu 10.04LTS on a HP d530U desktop
    Kubuntu 10.04LTS on a home-built computer comprising Asus mobo, AMD Athlon64x2 CPU, 2GB RAM, mirrored SATA HDDs - Nice!

Beans

Question Re: Bluetooth headset and ALSA vs. PulseAudio

Interesting info, Daniel, but it doesn't really help me, esp. as the benefits of PulseAudio you mention I probably won't be needing on this laptop.

So, should I be persuing resolving this bluetooth audio issue using ALSA or PulseAudio? Or does it not matter?
    Kubuntu 10.04LTS on a home-built computer comprising Asus mobo, AMD Athlon64x2 CPU, 2GB RAM, mirrored SATA HDDs - Nice!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Bluetooth headset and ALSA vs. PulseAudio

I could only get my HDMI to work with Pulse Audio. YMMV.

I also use PulseAudio for streaming to my Airport Express (to which I have connected a remote sound system), which I can't do with ALSA alone.

Also, PulseAudio allows multiple inputs and outputs from/to different sources, and allows real-time variable mixing.

It is quite powerful, but for the average situation absolutely unnecessary.

Stick with ALSA alone until you find a need for PulseAudio.

UbuntuGuide/KubuntuGuide

Right now the killer is being surrounded by a web of deduction, forensic science,
    and the latest in technology such as two-way radios and e-mail.

Beans

So it has been suggested I stick with ALSA ... any ideas as to why it isn't working?

Beans

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1363714

It been a while since your post but I used above to get logitech wireless heasdset H760 working yesterday in xubuntu 10.10. I could not get headset to work with alsa alone, it showed in alsa but I could not figure out how to make it work. Pulseaudio worked for me in terminal.

Code:
    sudo apt-get install pulseaudio
    Code:
    sudo apt-get pavucontrol
    Then go Multimedia>PulseaAudio Volume Control

Mess around with the settings in there.

I'm a newer to xubuntu & removed and reinstalled a couple times out of frustration. But then realized I was not putting my internal audio back to the correct setting in pulse after using headset. Initially was panicked thinking pulseaudio messed up my sound. I was wrong about that, but if you want to remove after installing the following worked for me.

Code:
    sudo apt-get autoremove pulseaudio
    Code:
    sudo apt-get autoremove pavucontrol

Would like to know if I can make pulseaudio default sound control, or otherwise make buttons on headset work to adjust volume and such. Buttons work on ubuntu 10.04 and wifes mint 10.10, but not on my xubuntu 10.10. Headset audio works perfect on x but not headset control buttons. Suggestions anybody?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by guberone View Post
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1363714

It been a while since your post but I used above to get logitech wireless heasdset H760 working yesterday in xubuntu 10.10. I could not get headset to work with alsa alone, it showed in alsa but I could not figure out how to make it work. Pulseaudio worked for me in terminal.

Code:
    sudo apt-get install pulseaudio
    Code:
    sudo apt-get pavucontrol
    Then go Multimedia>PulseaAudio Volume Control

Mess around with the settings in there.

I'm a newer to xubuntu & removed and reinstalled a couple times out of frustration. But then realized I was not putting my internal audio back to the correct setting in pulse after using headset. Initially was panicked thinking pulseaudio messed up my sound. I was wrong about that, but if you want to remove after installing the following worked for me.

Code:
    sudo apt-get autoremove pulseaudio
    Code:
    sudo apt-get autoremove pavucontrol

Would like to know if I can make pulseaudio default sound control, or otherwise make buttons on headset work to adjust volume and such. Buttons work on ubuntu 10.04 and wifes mint 10.10, but not on my xubuntu 10.10. Headset audio works perfect on x but not headset control buttons. Suggestions anybody?
    Thanks for this. After completely giving up on bluetooth sound in Xubuntu, your post saved the day.