Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Music Thread

Beans

The Music Thread

My musical tastes tend to evolve with time, but right now I'm into indie/emo from the 90s. A good example would be "High School Poetry" by 764-Hero; I do believe a YouTube link is in order! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBd68oeiCDo
    Anyway, enough about me. What kind of music do you alternative-operating-system-using people listen to?

Beans

Re: The Music Thread

though i consider myself quite open minded, i would have to say that i listen to mostly rock, alt rock, and indie rock. the bands i listen to the most right now are muse, silversun pickups, and radiohead...muse is by far my favorite band of all time (so far...)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

I have been a dedicated metalhead since I was about 15, I am 31 now and I don't seem to be having much of a change in my taste.

Beans
    Distro

I have seen 90's retro cropping up, it is enivitable that it will start to get attention now that the 80's revival has been going a while.

The late 80's early 90's is where I started really to get into music I liked rather than what was spoon fed me, alternative rock and grunge really influenced me but as the 90's got going I started to sway to Electronica and even Nu-metal.

I have revistited Stereolab recentally and I just love 'em! (check out 'French Disko' and 'Fluorescences') also I adore Add N to (X) whom I have worked and friends now with ex-members which I still find a bit weird as they were real heroes to me!

My tastes are eclectic liking both guitar and electronic music forms, I do like extremes such as grindcore and musique concrete etc.

Beans

The Beatles, Jimi Hendrix, Bob Dylan, Pink Floyd, Nina Simone, B.B. King, Ocean Colour Scene, Red Hot Chili Peppers, The Rolling Stones, Bruce Springsteen, Nirvana, The Kinks, The Clash, Bob Marley, Kaiser Chiefs, Meatloaf, Snow Patrol, Beethoven, Mozart, Grieg, Tchaikovsky, Verdi, Janis Joplin, Oasis, Paul Weller, Elvis Presley, Stevie Wonder, Prince, David Bowie, Tegan and Sara, et cetera.......
    I still maintain the point that designing a monolithic kernel in 1991 is a fundamental error. Be thankful you are not my student. You would not get a high grade for such a design (Andrew Tanenbaum to Linus Torvalds)

Beans
    Distro

Thats a great listening list Andy!

Another band Ive started listening to a lot of again is Tool. I love bands like them because I think metal music seems to be looked down on as un-intelligent noise for boys yet you listen to Tool and they have this added depth and musicality while still having at raw metal power, I find they are influencing my new band (Kraken Wakes) quite a bit

Beans

This, every single day.

But really, I listen to mostly Melodic/Brutal Death Metal and rock from the 60s, 70s and 80s.

Beans

Obviously Nightwish but I am rather picky in music. I listen to film score artists such as John Williams, Hans Zimmer and most especially Basil Poledouris. I like some classical though mainly just Tchaikovsky. As for bands I listen to: Chicago, Metallica, Severed Fifth, The Moody Blues, Rhapsody Of Fire.. meh.

My favourite artist of all time is Joe Hisaishi. (Composer and piano player)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H82QHiUvY5E

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by NightwishFan View Post
    Obviously Nightwish but I am rather picky in music. I listen to film score artists such as John Williams, Hans Zimmer and most especially Basil Poledouris. I like some classical though mainly just Tchaikovsky. As for bands I listen to: Chicago, Metallica, Severed Fifth, The Moody Blues, Rhapsody Of Fire.. meh.

My favourite artist of all time is Joe Hisaishi. (Composer and piano player)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H82QHiUvY5E
    I think you would like Phillip Glass (if you are not aware of him already) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phillip_Glass
    Check out 'Solo Piano' as a good example of his work.
    Last edited by Evil-Ernie; December 29th, 2010 at 01:02 PM. Reason: Typo

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

i listen to anything that sounds good or that seems "fresh" (not done to death)

but my favorite genres are metal and jazz, atheist and spiral architect are personal favorites. from the metal side, the one band i can not live without is Iron maiden and, from the jazz side, Django Reindhart/Joe Pass/John Scofield/Al Di Meola are my idols.
    Last edited by GabrielYYZ; December 29th, 2010 at 12:40 PM. Reason: almost forgot Al Di Meola :(

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast