Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: gtk-window-decorator permanent fix?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

gtk-window-decorator permanent fix?

i turned on my computer today and POOF, no window decorations. i haven't changed ANY display/appearance settings since i installed 10.04 and did my initial setup over a month ago. now when i startup i have to "gtk-window-decorator --replace" in terminal and leave it open to have everything decorated. i had a similar problem when i used compiz but i haven't installed anything other than the nvidia driver this time.

is there a way to find out what caused this and correct it? if not am i stuck with some sort of autostart launcher?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: gtk-window-decorator permanent fix?

So are you now using Compiz or not? ..or actually that's a stupid question, since gnome-window-decorator is a Compiz plugin and doesn't even work without Compiz...

Anyway, open CompizConfig Settings Manager (install it if you haven't got it already), go to Window Decoration-plugin's settings and make sure the "Command"-filed is set to "/usr/bin/compiz-decorator".

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by mechanizedmedic View Post
    i had a similar problem when i used compiz but i haven't installed anything other than the nvidia driver this time.
    i'm trying to avoid compiz... as much as is possible, i want to use what comes with ubuntu upon install.

Beans

metacity --replace &

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

i'm trying to avoid compiz... as much as is possible, i want to use what comes with ubuntu upon install.
    Compiz and Metacity are both included in the default install.

If you use visual effects you are using Compiz, if you turn them off you are using Metacity.

Beans
    Distro

...i was just coming back to call myself an idiot...

is this issue a gconf setting that i can fix?

also, can i remove compiz and just use metacity like i was before this occured?

Beans

...i was just coming back to call myself an idiot...

is this issue a gconf setting that i can fix?

also, can i remove compiz and just use metacity like i was before this occured?
    gconf-editor
    desktop -> gnome -> session -> required-components -> windowmanager = metacity

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

The first thing you should try is setting the visual effects to "none" in System/Preferences/Appearance. That really should switch you to Metacity.

If it doesn't work, for some strange reason I can't think of, you can force Gnome to use Metacity by changing the /desktop/gnome/session/required_components/windowmanager key to "/usr/bin/metacity" in gconf-editor.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by kellemes View Post
    gconf-editor
    desktop -> gnome -> session -> required-components -> windowmanager = metacity
    this is what gconf-editor already shows.

Quote Originally Posted by mcduck View Post
    The first thing you should try is setting the visual effects to "none" in System/Preferences/Appearance. That really should switch you to Metacity.

If it doesn't work, for some strange reason I can't think of, you can force Gnome to use Metacity by changing the /desktop/gnome/session/required_components/windowmanager key to "/usr/bin/metacity" in gconf-editor.
    aside from gtk-window-decorator --replace i haven't used compiz. when i installed 10.04 i enabled the proprietary nvidia driver but left visual effects "none". i double checked and it's still set to none.

changed the gconf entry to /usr/bin/metacity and nothing changed, even after a restart.

Beans
    Distro

i tried switching to compiz with the full settings manager and fusion icon. the only way i can get it to work on startup is with the autostart command "fusion-icon --force-compiz"

...this is not at all what i wanted to end up with but until i get a real fix this will have to do. if anyone has any ideas please help! i would much rather keep things simple with metacity.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast