Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why not Ubuntu?

Beans

Why not Ubuntu?

It's fully possible this has already been addressed, but I thought I'd find out for myself.
    Why do people spend hundreds of dollars on paid OS's like Windows 7 or Mac OS X when they can get Ubuntu for free, and it's just as good, if not better than the paid option? I mean, I realize not everybody knows about Ubuntu, but for those who do, what's the point in shelling out your hard-earned cash for something else? My dad just found out about the whole idea of a free, open-source operating system when I installed Ubuntu 10.10 earlier today, and I could see the expression that passed over his face; you only see that particular expression on the face of a person who just realized they've been wasting hundreds of dollars over the last decade or so on operating systems.
    Last edited by LawrenceLovesLinux; December 29th, 2010 at 09:13 AM. Reason: changed link to image

Re: Why not Ubuntu?

Moved to Recurring Discussions.
    Learning is not attained by chance, it must be sought for with ardor and attended to with diligence. Abigail Adams ( 1744 - 1818 ), 1780;

My blog Poetry and More Free Ubuntu Magazine

Beans

1.) Almost every computer is shipped with a version of Windows, or Mac OS/OSX.

2.) It's a lot easier for the user to just double click any executable to run a program, instead of using chmod.

3.) It's a general belief that GNU/Linux is harder than Windows and Mac OS/X. Simply because most people have a view of GNU/Linux looking like this. And although some distros do, the majority have user-friendly interfaces.

4.) A lot of people use their computers for gaming. A lot of the latest most popular games are not ported over to GNU/Linux.

5.) Windows 7 automagically configures everything for you, whereas in some GNU/Linux distros require some configuring to have it to your preference.

6.) Windows XP is lighter than Ubuntu. Yes, this may be hard to believe, but they still make Windows XP, and it is lighter than Ubuntu. This is, of course, before you install a few programs and a virus scanner. But generally, since they have a lighter OS installed, the hardware does not need to be as powerful as more modern OS, which in turn saves the company money.

7.) Windows is geared towards the average user. Most GNU/Linux distros are for intermediate to advanced users who are looking to get the best out of their system. Of course, the larger distros like Ubuntu and Linux Mint are geared towards the everyday man.

8.) It is believed by a lot of Windows users that a lot of Linux software has the "open-source feel" to them. As in, they are okay, but not as good as they could be.

9.) A lot of software is programmed for Windows, because it has the largest market share.

10.) GNU/Linux has always been known as the "nerdy OS" which is off-putting for a lot of people. People simply do not like change.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Quote Originally Posted by Hur Dur View Post
    1.) Almost every computer is shipped with a version of Windows, or Mac OS/OSX.
    Dell Ubuntu

2.) It's a lot easier for the user to just double click any executable to run a program, instead of using chmod.
    What's chmod?

3.) It's a general belief that GNU/Linux is harder than Windows and Mac OS/X. Simply because most people have a view of GNU/Linux looking like this. And although some distros do, the majority have user-friendly interfaces.
    www.ubuntu.com

4.) A lot of people use their computers for gaming. A lot of the latest most popular games are not ported over to GNU/Linux.
    PS3

5.) Windows 7 automagically configures everything for you, whereas in some GNU/Linux distros require some configuring to have it to your preference.
    Except MS Office and peripheral hardware?

6.) Windows XP is lighter than Ubuntu. Yes, this may be hard to believe, but they still make Windows XP, and it is lighter than Ubuntu. This is, of course, before you install a few programs and a virus scanner. But generally, since they have a lighter OS installed, the hardware does not need to be as powerful as more modern OS, which in turn saves the company money.
    XP to be unsupported soon. And it is not sold anymore

7.) Windows is geared towards the average user. Most GNU/Linux distros are for intermediate to advanced users who are looking to get the best out of their system. Of course, the larger distros like Ubuntu and Linux Mint are geared towards the everyday man.
    How Windows is targeted to average user more than Ubuntu is?

8.) It is believed by a lot of Windows users that a lot of Linux software has the "open-source feel" to them. As in, they are okay, but not as good as they could be.
    Huh?

9.) A lot of software is programmed for Windows, because it has the largest market share.
    I could find all software I need in linux. What you were not able to find?

10.) GNU/Linux has always been known as the "nerdy OS" which is off-putting for a lot of people. People simply do not like change.
    Could not understand "nerdy OS" but I more than agree on "do not like change".
    Last edited by Zlatan; December 29th, 2010 at 10:34 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Zlatan View Post
    Dell Ubuntu
    Keywords: Almost every

What's chmod?
    Considering I have never used Ubuntu, I don't know if this applies to Ubuntu users. But, in Debian, you use Chmod +x to make files executable.

Exactly.

PS3
    PC gaming is better. The ability to set mouse speed, change the graphics settings, edit maps, etc. Not to mention how cheap it is compared to console gaming. A lot of games on Steam are available for a fraction of the price they cost on consoles.

I'm pretty sure XP will be supported until 2014. Windows XP is not sold anymore, but there are a lot of PCs with Windows XP still sold.

How Windows is targeted to average user more than Ubuntu is?
    More people use Windows, so it is easier to get help. All of your Windows troubles can be fixed by just popping a CD. In Windows, software is installed with all dependencies. (Yes, I know Synaptic does this.)

Huh?
    Can't really elaborate more on it.

It's not me in particular, but rather a lot of users on Windows who have trouble finding software. But, personally, I had trouble finding a good FRAPS alternative. Yes, I am fully aware of glc and recordmydesktop.

Could not understand "nerdy OS" but I more than agree on "do not like change".
    Until recently, GNU/Linux has been considered an OS for geeks/nerds/people good with technology. As a lot of stuff used to be done via CLI and the Terminal.

Another reason; People look at problems that have been fixed years ago, but do not bother to try GNU/Linux out for themselves, because they just focus on what happened in the past.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by LawrenceLovesLinux View Post
    Pretty much sums up this thread, and the inevitable flamewar.
    The above post definitely does not contain any sarcasm at all.

Beans

Soon? 8/4/2010, so thats almost 3.5 years, and who knows if microsoft will extend support when that date gets close.

http://support.microsoft.com/lifecyc...=en-gb&C2=1173

If 3.5 years is 'soon' then you'd better only be using LTS versions of ubuntu.

The big corporate assembler only stopped shipping system with XP in october 2010....

BTW, I can still get OEM copies of XP, easy, its still on sale.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jerenept View Post
    Pretty much sums up this thread, and the inevitable flamewar.
    I wouldn't consider a light discussion about the topic of the thread a flamewar.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Not everybody is paying to Microsoft . I have not find a single person who is running an original XP . In my part of the world I can just go out now and buy 4 XP Cds in 1 $ .

Same with all software for windows . Windows 7 ultimate can be bought for 0.5 $ .

So windows is free here like beer ..

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

On the Apple side of things:

Digital Performer, ProTools, Logic, GarageBand, Final Cut Pro/Express.

Sorry, but Ardour, Rosgarden, Audacity, LMMS and whatever video editor there is (if there even is one) don't cut it. Mostly because of...

8.) It is believed by a lot of Windows (and Mac) users that a lot of Linux software has the "open-source feel" to them. As in, they are okay, but not as good as they could be.
    On the Windows side of things, pick any modern game. Maybe it'll work in Wine but, probably not and, almost certainly without much futzing.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast