Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: CD Ripping - WMP v Linux apps

Beans

Re: CD Ripping - Why WMP is still the best

Quote Originally Posted by trinitydan View Post
    So I was looking into increasing speed using RubyRipper, and apparently you can't!? I guess it's because of the developers commitment to quality. Fast ripping is not an option. That's not the level of freedom I like to enjoy with my software.
    I normally HATE this response, but.....you arent forced to use rubyripper.

Rubyripper is very similar to EAC,and meant to replicate the secure ripping that EAC does. Its just a frontend for cdparanoia, if rubyripper doesnt suit I'm sure that there is a different CDparanoia frontend that will do what you want.

Beans

Re: CD Ripping - WMP v Linux apps

So I was looking into increasing speed using RubyRipper, and apparently you can't!? I guess it's because of the developers commitment to quality. Fast ripping ingis not an option.
    The current 'speed' issues with rubyripper are due to the default versions of ruby, ruby-gtk2 used by ubuntu (and many other distros), which causes a large delay between tracks.

This can be resolved by using ruby 1.9.1 or 1.9.2 and a newer ruby-gtk2, though a little work. (made easier by a recent ruby1.9.2 ppa

An simplier solution for some is to setup thru the gui and then run the rip from a terminal using one of these, depends on version of rr in use
    rrip_cli -a
    or
    rrip_cli -d

abcde (cli only) also works quite well, can use either cdparanoia or cdda2wav, there are some threads around on how to use and or setup

Beans

I was thinking that trinitydan was talking about 'match all chunks', minimum settings of 2. No single pass rips.

Beans

I was thinking that trinitydan was talking about..
    Possibly but all lucid, mav. or natty users of the gui will find it takes more time to go from 1 track to the next then it takes to rip/encode that track. There is no 'fix' other than to use what I've mentioned. (the cli is unaffected, the gui works fine other than the actual ripping.

http://code.google.com/p/rubyripper/...ned%20Modified

(it only takes about 5 min to set up ruby1.9.X and build a new ruby-gtk2, install RR, ect. but the 'setup in gui, rip in cli' is quicker to describe

Beans

That's not the level of freedom I like to enjoy with my software.
    Quote Originally Posted by cascade9 View Post
    I normally HATE this response, but.....you arent forced to use rubyripper.
    I am still looking for solutions in my spare time.
    I understand that I am not forced to use RubyRipper, and I am probably not going to, but that is kind of beside the point as I am just trying to help out the original poster. By "still looking for solutions", I meant I am still looking for an alternative software program to meet the OPs needs. I have no need whatsoever for a ripper that outputs ID3v2.3 tags.

Edit: I do see what you mean though, in this instance in particular we are not forced to use RubyRipper as it looks like there are a variety of options to get our desired outcome. I should have reflected on your post further before replying.

Quote Originally Posted by cascade9 View Post
    I was thinking that trinitydan was talking about 'match all chunks', minimum settings of 2. No single pass rips.
    That was what I was referring to, but it is possible that I was mistaken about what was making the rips unacceptably slow. How long does it take to rip a cd from the command line with the options described?
    Last edited by trinitydan; December 31st, 2010 at 08:38 PM.

Beans

How long does it take to rip a cd
    Well that would depend on disc condition, the drive, desktop or laptop.

Using a disc in decent condition, a good desktop drive, a 50 min cd (11 tracks) took 10.5 min.'s w/ 2 pass, full paranoia
    (that was with the gui/ruby1.9.2, the cli would be the same

Beans

Re: CD Ripping - Why WMP is still the best

Quote Originally Posted by samfuzz View Post
    in "gnome-audio-profiles-properties"

set id3mux instead of id3v2mux in your gstreamer mp3 profile,
    this will write id2v2.3 tag instead of id2v2.4 tag
    Maybe the simplest solution is the best?

I tried changing the settings in Sound Juicer by editing the CD Quality MP3 profile as specified by samfuzz. The rip speed is still what I would consider "normal" and the ID tags are recongnized by my iPod. Hopefully this solution will work for the OP.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mc4man View Post
    Well that would depend on disc condition, the drive, desktop or laptop.

Using a disc in decent condition, a good desktop drive, a 50 min cd (11 tracks) took 10.5 min.'s w/ 2 pass, full paranoia
    (that was with the gui/ruby1.9.2, the cli would be the same
    OK, now that's reasonable. I could see a person wanting to use RubyRipper in that case to get the highest quality rips. That hangup between tracks must be the main problem.

Beans

That hangup between tracks must be the main problem
    Most definitely, the time from the end of the 2nd pass to starting next track, (when creating the midsum) should only be about 1 -1.5 seconds.

I generally use abcde which is highly configurable thru a .abcde.conf, usually placed in home folder

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by mc4man View Post
    The current 'speed' issues with rubyripper are due to the default versions of ruby, ruby-gtk2 used by ubuntu (and many other distros), which causes a large delay between tracks.

This can be resolved by using ruby 1.9.1 or 1.9.2 and a newer ruby-gtk2, though a little work. (made easier by a recent ruby1.9.2 ppa

An simplier solution for some is to setup thru the gui and then run the rip from a terminal using one of these, depends on version of rr in use
    rrip_cli -a
    or
    rrip_cli -d

abcde (cli only) also works quite well, can use either cdparanoia or cdda2wav, there are some threads around on how to use and or setup
    Sorry mc4man, I had to smile when I read your solution(s). This is an excerpt from my OP.

Quote Originally Posted by Mylorharbour View Post
    So, what is a one click function in WMP takes an eternity in Ubuntu. There must be a better way. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast