Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: CD Ripping - WMP v Linux apps

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: CD Ripping - Why WMP is still the best

Ok, I've asked the mods to change the title.

To précis what I'm trying to do....

My Sansa Fuze+ mp3 player recognises mp3's that are ripped by WMP and also displays the associated album art. Anything ripped so far by Lucid apps fails to show or shows as 'unknown artist'. From searching the Sansa forums it appears the ripped mp3's need ID3v2.3 tags.

Rhythmbox and Sound Juicer, out of the box, apply ID3v2.4 tags and don't appear able to download album art for the British CD I'm testing with, (Cliff Richard - The Whole Story).

K3b requires a codec apparently to rip to mp3. I'm struggling to get this working.

Banshee rips by default to Ogg Vorbis. I haven't yet found a way to rip to mp3.

I prefer to do everything I can in Ubuntu.

Thanks for the help so far guys. Apologies if I've upset some of you. It wasn't intentional.

Beans

I didn't mean to get on your case. I meant all I said in good spirits, I really do hope we can solve this for you! The only ripping software I am familiar with is Sound Juicer. It is difficult for me to weed through the results of searches for your desired tag format, but I suspect Sound Juicer would do what you need. I will continue to look into it.

Beans

Given your special tag format need, I am going to have to recommend you go with RubyRipper. It does support the tag format you need. You can find how to install it here:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/CDRipping#RubyRipper

Just post up when you get stuck and someone will help you out!

You might want to have a look at this at some point too when you get a chance.
    Last edited by trinitydan; December 30th, 2010 at 03:37 AM.

Beans

Re: CD Ripping - WMP v Linux apps

Quote Originally Posted by DanielTodaro View Post
    Although most variants of Linux have greatly improved the ease of use, Windows is still much easier to use by new computer users.Linux has a wide range of available programs, utilities and games. However, Windows has much larger selection of software available.
    Not true. If your argument had been better quality commercial programs...Maybe, or Proprietary Games...Maybe. I notice you are fairly new so perhaps you should be a little more constructive with your posts.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Mylorharbour View Post
    Ok, I've asked the mods to change the title.

To précis what I'm trying to do....

My Sansa Fuze+ mp3 player recognises mp3's that are ripped by WMP and also displays the associated album art. Anything ripped so far by Lucid apps fails to show or shows as 'unknown artist'. From searching the Sansa forums it appears the ripped mp3's need ID3v2.3 tags.

Rhythmbox and Sound Juicer, out of the box, apply ID3v2.4 tags and don't appear able to download album art for the British CD I'm testing with, (Cliff Richard - The Whole Story).

K3b requires a codec apparently to rip to mp3. I'm struggling to get this working.

Banshee rips by default to Ogg Vorbis. I haven't yet found a way to rip to mp3.

I prefer to do everything I can in Ubuntu.

Thanks for the help so far guys. Apologies if I've upset some of you. It wasn't intentional.
    Turn off "write metadata" to files. I've read the same forums. You need "MP3 Gain" it will clean and convert all your tags in one press of the button for all you tunes to 2.3.

Beans
    Distro

Trinitydan,
    Thanks for that. Yes RubyRipper does write the correct tags but it takes an awfully long time. Something like 1.5hrs per cd so I reckon I must have some settings wrong as it seemed to do an awful lot of checking. I also can't ask it to write to my music folder nor will it download album art.

Still, it's progress. Between that and MP3 Diags at least I'm able to do what I'm after now.

Beans

You're welcome! It's progress, but we're not there yet. That is an unacceptable amount of time. This isn't solved until we get you ripping cd's with ease and speed equal to or better than WMP! I am currently installing RubyRipper as I have never used it and I am going to try to look into other ripping programs that might also be able to support your format. Hopefully someone else will offer some more insight as well. It seems like tuppe666 knows what they are talking about, so in the meantime if you want you could try to follow their suggestion as well.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by tuppe666 View Post
    Turn off "write metadata" to files. I've read the same forums. You need "MP3 Gain" it will clean and convert all your tags in one press of the button for all you tunes to 2.3.
    Do you mean MP3 Diags? I've been playing with that and am quite impressed. I can also find a use for MP3 Gain though, thanks.

Beans

So I was looking into increasing speed using RubyRipper, and apparently you can't!? I guess it's because of the developers commitment to quality. Fast ripping is not an option. That's not the level of freedom I like to enjoy with my software.

I am still looking for solutions in my spare time. For now you might want to try out Kid3. I installed it on my computer and it has a very nice fairly easy to use interface for converting tag formats. Here's the 10.04 .deb package.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast