Thread: Nautilus copy file/directory path should not put "file://" prefix

Beans

Nautilus copy file/directory path should not put "file://" prefix

I really missed the old Ubuntu file/dir. copying feature. When I copied in nautilus file explorer and paste into a terminal or text editor, I got the exact path (eg. /home/user/abc.txt), but when coming the Ubuntu 10.04, it added some "file://" prefix to the actual path (eg. file:///home/user/abc.txt), and I always had to manually delete the "file://" prefix.

I don't see clearly that we need to place "file://" in front of the actual path (maybe just in the case we want to put the path in an Internet browser?). Wish this reversed back.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Nautilus copy file/directory path should not put "file://" prefix

I wholeheartedly agree with this.
    However, when I copy / paste from Nautilus into another application, such as GEdit, it does not include the GVFS protocol prefix.
    This only occurs when pasting into the terminal - which is still counter-intuitive.

Could it be something with the terminal and GVFS itself?

EDIT: Found this: http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=62310

If you copy a file and then go to the 'Edit' menu on gnome-terminal, there will be a 'Paste Filenames' option, which pastes it with quotes - but apparently there's no custom keyboard mapping :/ (aside from Alt + E + F).
    Last edited by deadimp; September 27th, 2011 at 09:18 PM.

Beans

Re: Nautilus copy file/directory path should not put "file://" prefix

Alt+E+F is way better than pasting in Gedit and re-copy, or manually remove the file:// prefix, but still not the best. Thanks.