Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: HOW TO: iSeries Client Access Emulator install

Beans

Re: HOW TO: iSeries Client Access Emulator install

i get this when i run ibm5250--> ./ibm5250: error while loading shared libraries: libXm.so.3: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

any ideas?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

did you create the necessary link:
    sudo ln -s /usr/X11R6/lib/libXm.so.3 /usr/lib/libXm.so.3

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Quote Originally Posted by Circus-Killer View Post
    anyways, with the iseries access for windows, when setting up emulator sessions, there is an option to set it as a display session or as a printer session. with the printer session setting, more options become available about printing. then whenever you need to print, you have to have the print session running in the background (and obviously you would still be in the display section requesting the print).

now, how do i go about printing in much the same way, or at all. to be honest, i havent given printing a complete try, but as i said, i'll come back to yah with my failed attempts.
    Sincerely, Circus: IBM is not working on this way and letting printer emulation dies. The future (and in my way of thinking: the PRESENT) is to use the standards and, LPR and IPP are the standards actually.

You need NOTHING to configure IPP on your Ubuntu installation, because GRUB use it by default. The only thing you need is to configure the printer -easy- on the AS/400 as a remote IPP printer (remote host, name of the remote queue -your printer name- and port -631-). Now, you will not have errors or stopped queues because the user forgetted to open the printer emulation, or he stopped it. In the same way, your AS/400 will not depend of the configuration -or transform- in the emulator. You could configure the printer in the AS/400 as PCL or Postcript and have EXACTLY the print you want.

Remember: Windows XP and 2000 use IPP and LPD in the same way, so you just need to configure one printer that will work in the same computer independently of the OS you started in that host.

By the same reasons, as soon as you have less "things" between your host -AS/400- and your printer, you will have less problems and, of course, less troubles to detect an error.

So, resuming: Your parents will don't need anymore to open a printer emulation session; your AS/400 will print reports in the PC with just one requirement (it must be on); you will have less problems with transforms and report formats; you will have less work to configure it...

PD: Sorry, my english is not my best knowledge But I have some experience with AS/400 and a variety of systems interconected, so it could be a nice thing for me if I could help you with this or other things about them. Specially, if we still talk about Ubuntu

Beans

@circus-killer: hmmm i just noticed that libmotif3 wasn't installed. I can't seem to find the package when i use aptitude. Which repository does libmotif3 reside?

Update: i think i got it already, we'll see if this works. thanks guys

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by ColdBeer View Post
    Sincerely, Circus: IBM is not working on this way and letting printer emulation dies. The future (and in my way of thinking: the PRESENT) is to use the standards and, LPR and IPP are the standards actually.

You need NOTHING to configure IPP on your Ubuntu installation, because GRUB use it by default. The only thing you need is to configure the printer -easy- on the AS/400 as a remote IPP printer (remote host, name of the remote queue -your printer name- and port -631-). Now, you will not have errors or stopped queues because the user forgetted to open the printer emulation, or he stopped it. In the same way, your AS/400 will not depend of the configuration -or transform- in the emulator. You could configure the printer in the AS/400 as PCL or Postcript and have EXACTLY the print you want.

Remember: Windows XP and 2000 use IPP and LPD in the same way, so you just need to configure one printer that will work in the same computer independently of the OS you started in that host.

By the same reasons, as soon as you have less "things" between your host -AS/400- and your printer, you will have less problems and, of course, less troubles to detect an error.

So, resuming: Your parents will don't need anymore to open a printer emulation session; your AS/400 will print reports in the PC with just one requirement (it must be on); you will have less problems with transforms and report formats; you will have less work to configure it...

PD: Sorry, my english is not my best knowledge But I have some experience with AS/400 and a variety of systems interconected, so it could be a nice thing for me if I could help you with this or other things about them. Specially, if we still talk about Ubuntu
    dont worry about your english, its very good! and thanks for all your help. you do indeed seem very knowledgeable on the subject of AS/400.

my worry about the whole printing thing is this. if i'm not mistaken, you are talking about screen printing, which would just print the current display (correct me if i'm wrong).

the problem is, that my folks need to type in a whole LOT of orders. afterwards, they give the command to print, and ALL the orders (sent from the server to the printer emulation session) print in one go (much better than having going screen to screen for each order). which doesnt make sense to me, so i'm sure i got this wrong. but when i try print, the emulator spews out a bunch of errors such as:

Job ******/******/QPADEV0001 started on 12/01/07 at 17:37:23 in subsystem QI
    Error message CPF4131 appeared during OPEN (C S D F).
    C
    RPG9001 received by RPS099CL at 400. (C D I R)
    C
    CEE9901 received by CALLQK at 3300. (C D I R)
    C
    CPF9999 received by AGMENUECL at 500. (C D I R)
    also, if i try do a screen print, i get the following error:

printer did not respond.
    please make sure it is ready to print.
    and yes, my printer is on with paper and work and is plugged in and etc. etc.
    so as you can see, i'm at a complete loss, and i dont see much prospect of getting the printing right. what i dont understand is why they make it so different from windows. in windows you can create a printer session, so why not in linux.

anyways, i dont know, i'm just lost. anymore help you can dish is appreciated.
    Last edited by Circus-Killer; January 12th, 2007 at 04:44 PM.

Beans
    Distro

if all you need is terminal access, man do i have the solution for you. a thousand times easier than installing iseries access for linux. try out tn5250:

sudo apt-get install tn5250
    then type in:

tn5250 ip.add.re.ss
    could it be anymore easier than that.
    still cant print though, so neither helps me much.

tried out tn5250j, but thats too much of a mission. tn5250 is the way to go in my opinion, give it a bash.
    Last edited by Circus-Killer; January 12th, 2007 at 05:06 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

dont worry about your english, its very good! and thanks for all your help. you do indeed seem very knowledgeable on the subject of AS/400.

my worry about the whole printing thing is this. if i'm not mistaken, you are talking about screen printing, which would just print the current display (correct me if i'm wrong).
    Not, Circus... this is your mistake. I'm talking about creating a remote printer in the AS/400 which will be always "ready to print". When programming in the AS/400 and wanna print a report, you assign a "queue" for that job. That queue is assigned to a printer (local printer, 5250 -emulated or real- printer, or net printer -HP net printer, LPR, IPP...-). Of course, this queue could be stopped if the printer can't be located.

Talking about the "screen printing", there are two ways for -each- the same job: local print (which means that your emulation software make the job using only local recourses) and host printing (you give to the AS/400 -which knows too what's your screen showing- the job, which will be worked as any print job in the AS/400 queue. It knows what's your default printer because it's declared in the session). In the first way, for example, you could print your screen in a printer that is not knowed by the AS/400. In the second way, the printer MUST BE defined in the AS/400 and asigned to your session definition (wc *dev TERM01, for example).

So, if I explained right, you could understand that must separate the printer, the queue, the printer device, and the way you print (emulation, LPR, IPP, HP-net...) but you must NEVER confuse a "local screen printing" because it's not related to your AS/400.

and yes, my printer is on with paper and work and is plugged in and etc. etc.
    so as you can see, i'm at a complete loss, and i dont see much prospect of getting the printing right. what i dont understand is why they make it so different from windows. in windows you can create a printer session, so why not in linux.
    It's true, you could create a printer session in Windows, but I tell you: I have more than 200 PCs with AS/400 emulation, but only 4 of them use printer emulation. We use the LPR way because it gives much less work for us -the net admins-, less work for the user -which doesn't need to remember opening the printer session, and less work for the AS/400 and the network traffic. And, remember which I told you before: IBM Client Access for Windows still use the printer emulator just for time compatibility reasons. They recommend to use the other ways because printer emulation is an old and bad way of printing.

Newer operating systems (Win 2k, XP, Linux...) uses modern (well, they are really old, but this is another discussion) ways of printing. So, I could recommend you to use them too.

I think it could be better to talk with your AS/400 system administrator and tell him about this. I'm sure he will prefer the way I tell you.

If you are still confused please, let me know and I could try to help you.

... Sorry, I forgeted your last post:

TN5250 is another way of 5250 terminal emulation, but it is less -and more difficult- advanced. You have less configuration and -in my knowledge- it can't use secure sessions.

In the other way, IBM Client Access for Linux has a BIG thing TN5250 doesn't: ODBC connection. With them, you could work in your OpenOffice Calc -or Base, or Writer- directly with your AS/400 data.

Remember that IBM Client Access for Windows is based in an OLD developing, so it still maintain -for compatiblity- old programs that in a modern way of work are not needed: printer emulation (forget it, it's an stupid way of printing, full of problems with the final print, the transform, the drivers...), the AS/400 data transfers (RTOPC, RFROMPC... which are completelly out of the XXI century since FTP and SAMBA exists) and a lot of other options which are in the Client Access for Windows package since Windows 3.0.

Beans

first post here...so be gentle...
    found a couple of things...
    for those people getting XT errors...
    5250: [ ERROR ]: NSC0017: Xt Warning: Missing charsets in String to FontSet conversion.
    5250: [ ERROR ]: NSC0017: Xt Warning: Cannot convert string "-*-lucidatypewriter-medium-r-normal-*-24-*-*-*-m-*" to type FontSet.

first set the Xorg.conf
    to correct fonts(or at least more fonts.

add
    FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/X11/100dpi"
    FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/X11/75dpi"
    to the sudo gedit /etc/X11/xorg.conf

then restart x [cntrl+alt+backspace]
    see if it works...I say this because it worked for me for a while till i tried to determine what actually fixed the above error...

if it doesn't work run xset fp

and then try /opt/ibm/iSeriesAccess/bin/ibm5250 -LANGID en_us
    to start the client access session....

just as a note there is also a new RPM client access package out there
    iSeriesAccess-5.2.0-1.6.i386.rpm

I commented out the above lines in my xorg.conf and it broke my client access with the
    XT error FontSet conversion error...

and then fixed it by running xset fp

hope this helps someone out...

thanks to all the at posted this howto it almost worked several times.
    once I entered the the above Fontpaths and ran xset fp, i could consistantly break it with the fontset coversion error and fix it again...

kel

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by kelboy View Post
    first post here...so be gentle...
    found a couple of things...
    for those people getting XT errors...
    5250: [ ERROR ]: NSC0017: Xt Warning: Missing charsets in String to FontSet conversion.
    5250: [ ERROR ]: NSC0017: Xt Warning: Cannot convert string "-*-lucidatypewriter-medium-r-normal-*-24-*-*-*-m-*" to type FontSet.

first set the Xorg.conf
    to correct fonts(or at least more fonts.

add
    FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/X11/100dpi"
    FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/X11/75dpi"
    to the sudo gedit /etc/X11/xorg.conf

then restart x [cntrl+alt+backspace]
    see if it works...I say this because it worked for me for a while till i tried to determine what actually fixed the above error...

if it doesn't work run xset fp

and then try /opt/ibm/iSeriesAccess/bin/ibm5250 -LANGID en_us
    to start the client access session....

just as a note there is also a new RPM client access package out there
    iSeriesAccess-5.2.0-1.6.i386.rpm

I commented out the above lines in my xorg.conf and it broke my client access with the
    XT error FontSet conversion error...

and then fixed it by running xset fp

hope this helps someone out...

thanks to all the at posted this howto it almost worked several times.
    once I entered the the above Fontpaths and ran xset fp, i could consistantly break it with the fontset coversion error and fix it again...

kel
    well, i dont know about your method, but if you read this whole thread you will have seen whe got passed the problem of the fonts. read the posts in this thread that mention installing xfs and editing xorg appropriately. its the easiest way to get iseries working.

Beans

Hey everyone. I'm relatively new to Ubuntu, and I really was excited to see that people have gotten iSeries Access for Linux working. It would be great for me to access the iSeries at work. I finally got setup5250 to launch, but it's not saving my options, and it gives this error if I try to launch a session from the menu:

setup5250: [ ERROR ]: Unable to make directory: /root/.iSeriesAccess/ibm_5250. errno = 2. create_mode = 1ff.
    setup5250: [ ERROR ]: shmget failed. errno = 2, key = 71077346, size = 536.
    bash: ibm5250: command not found

What did I do?
    It's probably really simple, I just barely know how to set permissions. I'm still trying to remember bash commands from college.

I really want to use Ubuntu for obvious reasons, but if I can't figure this out I will have to go RedHat or something similar (gasp!)..

Thanks!

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast