Thread: Can I install 10.10 using a virtual CD drive while operating 10.10 from the Live CD?

Beans

Cool Can I install 10.10 using a virtual CD drive while operating 10.10 from the Live CD?

So this might be the weirdest most convoluted question on here.
    Allow me to clarify. My CD drive is a little wonky, and no matter how many Live CDs I attempt to make, no matter what burn speed I use, I always get into trouble installing 10.10 from the Live CD. I haven't any flashdrives. I'm currently booting 10.10 from the Live CD.

What I want to do is to download the Live ISO for 10.10, and mount it to a virtual drive, and install using that ISO, no CD/jumpdrive required. Anybody have any idea if this will work, or will it be like a proverbial snake-eating-its-own-tail paradox?

I can answer any questions you have to further clarify exactly what it is I'm trying to do if my description isn't clear enough.

EDIT: To clarify, I don't have any other OSes running on this machine. Also, I've been burning Live CDs from a different computer and using them on this machine. Told you the situation's convoluted.
    Last edited by nerwintheodd; December 26th, 2010 at 09:11 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie 17.04 Zesty Zapus

Re: Can I install 10.10 using a virtual CD drive while operating 10.10 from the Live

doubt it - running the live CD is like running in read-only mode - you cant install drivers etc that would normally need a reboot.

However if you do manage it - well done.

My recommendation would be to do a USB stick install - or pop your hard-drive into another computer and install 10.10 onto it from there.

there are other ways to install without a CD - see here for more details.
    mark your thread as [SOLVED], use Thread Tools on forum page.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: Can I install 10.10 using a virtual CD drive while operating 10.10 from the Live

if you had at least windows on your computer it may be worth your while to check out unetbootin http://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/une...i/installmodes