Thread: No HDMI output on Lenovo (NVDIA) laptop

Beans

No HDMI output on Lenovo (NVDIA) laptop

Hi

I have been trying to connect my laptop to view films on my plasma TV using a brand new HDMI cable. My laptop is a Lenovo G550 with a nVidia graphic card GT218 (GeForce G210M) with Ubuntu 10.04 (lucid). My TV is LG 32PG6000.

Now I avoided installing the proprietary Nvidia driver as it screwed up my Ubuntu startup splash screen so I re-installed Ubuntu and did not install the drivers. I must also say I cannot use Compiz, I presume because I only have the basic linux video driver.

Has anybody had problems with HDMI on such a system? Do I have to install the nVidia drivers. I just don't want to screw-up the laptop (again).

bye
    Martin
    Martin

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 15.04 Vivid Vervet

Re: No HDMI output on Lenovo (NVDIA) laptop

I am not sure what video driver you need. This page has a good tutorial:
    http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title...T220,_or_GT240

Beans

Not sure myself. My card is listed in "Supported products" here: http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux-d...29-driver.html

I might just give it a try. I am just worried what its going to do to my laptop. I am not sure the problem is recoverable.

Thanks anyway lidex.
    Martin

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 15.04 Vivid Vervet

Beans

OK. Late update here but I think it was to do with the nouveau linux driver not being good enough.
    I never bothered after that to fix the issue as using the laptop to watch films was not a necessity.

A couple of weeks ago I reinstalled the os to Ubuntu 12.10 and voila - problem fixed. By the way it also worked on Linux Mint 14 (Nadia) with the MATE desktop.
    However I did actually have sevre problems when enabling the proprietary nVidia driver on Ubuntu 12.10 but as the nouveau driver worked fine I didn't bother with it.

P.S. I agree with Linus in giving nVidia the finger
    Martin