Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Howto: UPnP AV server/client in Ubuntu Breezy/Dapper; Pls Test

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Howto: UPnP AV server/client in Ubuntu Breezy/Dapper; Pls Test

Universal Plug and Play AV Media Server/Client with Dapper Beta; Testers Wanted.

In this tutorial is split into two parts.

In the first part we will setup up a machine running Dapper Beta 1 as a UPnP AV Media Server; In the second part I will demonstrate how to correctly install djmount.

Part 1: Ubuntu with uShare. (This will work on Breezy too! no Fuse issues with the server)

First open a shell on the machine you want to have as your UPnP server. I will call it mediaserver from here out.
    1. We first make a backup of your sources.list file.
      Code:
      $ sudo cp /etc/apt/sources.list /etc/apt/sources.list.`date +%F`
      This will move your current sources.list file to the file sources.list.YYYY-MM-DD.
    2. We add the geexbox debian repository. If you are using ssh and don't have access to gedit use your favorite text editor. We also need to add the GeexBox GPG key to apt.
      Code:
      $ sudo gedit /etc/apt/sources.list
      Add the following lines.
      Code:
      ##GeexBox uShare UPnP media server
      deb http://www.geexbox.org/debian/ unstable main
      Next we add the GPG keys for geexbox.
      Code:
      $gpg --keyserver subkeys.pgp.net --recv B892931DA34867EF
      $gpg --export --armor B892931DA34867EF | sudo apt-key add -
    3. We install uShare.
      Code:
      $sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install uShare
    4. Configuring uShare.

We add a multicast route. This will allow you to controll what machines get your UPnP multicast.
      The format is $sudo route add -net abc.def.geh.0 netmask 255.0.0.0 dev ethX

Where abc.def.geh is your network ip range and X is the ethernet device you with to use. I'm currently at the University of Connecticut (class b, 137.99) and my server is running on my second ethernet card so I might add do the following to add the multicast route.

Code:
      $ sudo route add -net 137.99.0.0 netmask 255.255.0.0 dev eth1
      Next change directory into the folder you want to share.

Code:
      $ cd /home/username/share
      Exporting is now just a simple command.
      Code:
      $sudo ushare -c ./ -i eth1

uShare will now gather the meta data. Happy UPnP filesharing!

Please if you use this guide and run into errors or you think something could be explained better let me know! I want this to be quite usable and a suitable alternative to windows media connect UPnP AV server!

Part II will be done at a later date!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Re: Howto: UPnP AV server/client in Ubuntu Breezy/Dapper; Pls Test

I tried ushare with my OmniFi DMS1 and the DMS1 shows "ushare" as a meda source, but as soon as I select it, the DMS1 hangs.

Any thoughts?
    Registered Linux user #417305
    Register Ubuntu user #1191

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Everything installs without a hitch. I'm using a buffalo linktheater to access the upnp share, the linktheater sees the share but it's flagged as "UNAUTHORIZED." Any ideas how to authorize? When I select the share and try to open it the error message I recieve is that the "Server needs to auathorize cleint access."

Thanks,
    "Nice jail. Looks strong."
    - H. Houdini

Beans

Im using the D-Link DSM-320. I can play MP3's no problem, look at the kids photos without a hitch, and even play internet media (live365.com, etc.)

But when I try to play a movie off of the server (or tv show) it hangs when the bit-rate gets too high and appears to stall while it "catches-up".

I am assuming that I need to set my multi-cast differently.

Current setting is:

$ route add -net 192.168.0.0 netmask 255.255.0.0 dev eth0

Is my netmask too wide and mistakenly set for class B or is my route wrong?

I REALLY want to stick with my Ubuntu and ushare box and stop using MS as my media server.

Any help would be appreciated.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I'm having trouble getting this package installed.. I'm trying it on my AMD64 and my 32bit intel laptop.. On the desktop when I type
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install uShare
    I get
    Code:
    Failed to fetch http://www.geexbox.org/debian/dists/unstable/Release  Unable to find expected entry  main/binary-amd64/Packages in Meta-index file (malformed Release file?)
    Reading package lists... Done
    E: Some index files failed to download, they have been ignored, or old ones used instead.
    (obviously after it runs all the updates on the rest of the repos.

On the laptop when I type
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install ushare
    I get a problem about it not being able to uninstall gmediaserver (only does music, I need video, too).

If anyone has any thought on this, I'd greatly appreciate it.. I'm sorry for bringing up an old thread, but I've been searching for weeks on end for a program to work with my DSM-320. I found TwonkyVision, but I'm not wanting to pay to utilize the program. I've also tried mediatomb and flumotion, neither of which I could seem to get fully installed.

I'm freaking stumped

Anyone??

Thanks

grant

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

bump... Anyone?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

ttt... Anyone?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Help?

Beans

Grant ive just pulled my dsm out of the cupboard yesterday to give it another chance. imo they're rather crap, mainly because of only wep encryption.

I had it going last year although i eventually just plugged in a laptop instead.

It was running happily though, using dlinks default software running on xp, which i had pointed to a network drive that was actually a debian box with samba holding all the media.

at the time i was unaware of any decent upnp software to stream directly from the media array itself.

I will be playing with it a bit over the next few days when i find the time and if i come up with some answers for you or an alternative solution i shall let you know.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Awesome. Andy, I appreciate it.. I can understand on disliking the unit because of only WEP encryption. However, with my setup, it works perfectly. My TV sits right under it and all my boxes are in the living room. Plus, when I worked at CompUSA, it went discontinued through us, sat in the warehouse, then when it was time to send it back, I picked it up for 80 dollars, . I'm going to try and setup MythTV tonight, from reading another thread a subject close to this, it would be the software to use. I'll try and let ya know on that if I like it or not.

Thanks again

Grant

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast