Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cannot Burn Ubuntu 10.10 ISO File

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Cannot Burn Ubuntu 10.10 ISO File

Hi,

My W7 recently failed and I did not know what to do. I had this Ubuntu 8.10 CD from Canonical and decided to give it a try. I liked it and installed the 8.10 in my laptop. I am using this now but would like to upgrade to 10.10 since this is not supported anymore.

I've downloaded the ISO file and tried to burn it and follow the instructions on the site. But when I right click the image and write to disc, it says cannot because it cannot read the image file or it is not a valid image file.

Any one knows what to do? or had this similar situation before? Thanks it advance.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Cannot Burn Ubuntu 10.10 ISO File

Congrats on your migration! It sounds like you may have downloaded a bad image file. Where did you download from, and what program are you using to burn?

Have you tried a network migration?

System > Administration > Update Manager
    'Settings' button
    'Updates' tab
    Change Show new distribution releases to 'Normal Releases'
    Close
    'Check' button in Update Manager

...and you should see an upgrade button above all the packages.
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world: those who understand binary and those who do not.
    Need help? It may be Just Plain Obvious
    Problem fixed? Mark Your Thread as Solved

Beans

Upgrading from 8.10 to 10.10 (4 releases!!!) is bound to cause a lot of problems.
    Go with a clean install, but download the iso image from torrents. The integrity of the image will be automatically checked by your torrent client.

Beans
    Distro

tango_ninja: Thanks ! I checked that, it says 9.04. And it keeps giving me errors. Before the available update shows up.

I've downloaded it via torrent. You think there is something wrong with it?

I could not download via their site because it kept finishing half of the way and it is not complete...

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by TeoBigusGeekus View Post
    Upgrading from 8.10 to 10.10 (4 releases!!!) is bound to cause a lot of problems.
    Go with a clean install, but download the iso image from torrents. The integrity of the image will be automatically checked by your torrent client.
    Why is that? and what sort of upgrade are you referring to? Don't I just plugged in the LiveCD once I burn it and voila? I believe my laptop would accomodate the 10.10 upgrade, it's a G460. Could you please specify what problems? I would like to foresee these before the upgrade.....it's not like i have a lot of choice with what i have now. Thanks much!!!

I have downloaded it via torrent......Thanks again.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_kX065Fa34

This should help im guessing its a bad image file

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by 0N3 View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_kX065Fa34

This should help im guessing its a bad image file
    I dont think I can watch any youtube videos with what I have...thanks....I am trying to redownload. My sister cannot find a heart to help me downloading it. Thanks...

Any torrent links where I may be able to download a good copy? It would be easier for me to download it through there that their site because after waiting for 30 minutes it just finish without being completed.

The file i have is 693.00 mb.....

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Linuxtracker.org has a lot of reputable torrents that have a lot of seeders.
    Imitation is suicide...To be great is to be misunderstood.

~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by Webster12 View Post
    Why is that? and what sort of upgrade are you referring to? Don't I just plugged in the LiveCD once I burn it and voila? I believe my laptop would accomodate the 10.10 upgrade, it's a G460. Could you please specify what problems? I would like to foresee these before the upgrade.....it's not like i have a lot of choice with what i have now. Thanks much!!!

I have downloaded it via torrent......Thanks again.
    Take it easy
    TeoBigusGeekus has given you the best advice. From our experience, upgrading an old version of Ubuntu to a new version is problematic enough to avoid. The upgrade might be successful but after that, perhaps you'll face some problems.

The best way is to backup all your important data, format and start installing.

I'd suggest to download and install 10.04 not 10.10. However, it's your call. Why? because simply 10.04 is LTS (Long Term Support) which means you don't have to worry about upgrading it for 3 years.

If you don't want to go for 10.04 and you already have 10.10, just to be in the safe side, try to check MD5SUM for your downloaded iso. In my signature, there's HOWTO (check step1 link).

In order to create the LiveCD or LiveUSB, here's how: http://www.ubuntu.com/desktop/get-ubuntu/download
    Check #2.

What OS are you using at the moment to create the LiveCD? what program?

If your machine is able to boot from USB then I'd recommend to go for that option (http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/ to create that) but if your machine doesn't boot from USB, forget that. Even though there's a solution for that but it's a bit advanced now.

Try to burn at the low speed, say 16x.

Let us know what will happen with you!

Good luck

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by amjjawad View Post
    I'd suggest to download and install 10.04 not 10.10. However, it's your call. Why? because simply 10.04 is LTS (Long Term Support) which means you don't have to worry about upgrading it for 3 years.
    I had been reading about this...but i've redownload the 10.10 version (before reading this) and it's working now...thanks guys!

I 've been reading that the 10.04 version is more stable, how long is the long term support?

I've also heard that distros with .04 are more stable than the ones with .10, not sure how true is that.

But all i wanted to say is thank you guys for the support and help...I have it ^_^ and I really like it, it just wowed me and I have not even explored much yet...the workspaces are awesome (I wonder why windows does not have that)...i've tried empathy & gwibber and they were awesome!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast