Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Change GPL forcing Companies to put Linux on Packaging

Beans

Change GPL forcing Companies to put Linux on Packaging

Hello Everyone,
    Like any product only through tell potential customers do you get sales. For too long Linux through its very form of being generally free has led to there being very little money to advertise it. Now with the growing number of companies taking advantage of this free technology allowing them to make large sums of money it's time for them to give something back. Additional wording to the GPL should be added that anyone can still use the code at no cost providing Packaging / Manuals contains the fact that this product uses Linux based software.
    While buyer of these products will as a whole see the word "LINUX" and think nothing of it, over time as more products they buy use Linux, acceptance of the OS with grow to the point where more PC users will be willing to give a Linux based Desktop a go and not just dismiss it as a geeks toy OS.

Imagine if a customer buys a Microwave and it says "Uses Linux based Technologies" and then they buy a Android Mobile and again on the box is the words "Uses Linux based Technologies". Now 6 months pass and they need a "Satnav Navigator" for their car or a new "Digital TV" and once again the words "Uses Linux based Technologies" appears on the box. Now we've sown the seeds in their minds that sooner or later they'll ask themselves what is the Linux based Technologies I keep seeing everywhere!

So imagine all it took was the adding of a few careful words to the GPL forcing companies like Google to be required to list the fact that they use "Linux based Technologies" in their Products. It costs them no more to add a few words to their Packaging but the advertising for Linux would increase its acceptance no end.

Lets look at it this way Google takes Linux builds Android on top of it and the average User is none the wiser to the fact they are using Linux to them their using "ANDROID" Googles cool new OS. Linux gets no benefit at all. Is this right!

Spread the idea if you agree...
    Think I'm wrong tell us why...

Beans
    Distro
    Edubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Re: Change GPL forcing Companies to put Linux on Packaging

problem I write this script:

GPL it, "hey it's a linux based technology!" Being GPL doesn't make something linux based.
    Last edited by chris200x9; December 24th, 2010 at 04:49 AM.

Beans

GPL it, "hey it's a linux based technology!" Being GPL doesn't make something linux based.
    OK forgive my dumbness in forgetting that GPL covers more than just Linux.

OK your so smart LOL! What would need to be changed Legally to make Google etc put "hey it's a Linux based technology!" (your words) on their packaging.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

"Linux Inside"
    -------------------------------------
    Oooh Shiny: PopularPages

Unumquodque potest reparantur. Patientia sit virtus.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by tgalati4 View Post
    "Linux Inside"
    The above post definitely does not contain any sarcasm at all.

Beans
    Distro
    Edubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by linuxcool View Post
    OK forgive my dumbness in forgetting that GPL covers more than just Linux.

OK your so smart LOL! What would need to be changed Legally to make Google etc put "hey it's a Linux based technology!" (your words) on their packaging.
    I don't really know. My only thought is maybe something like changing the kernel license from GPLv2 to a "custom" license that is the exact same thing except with that clause added.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by tgalati4 View Post
    "Linux Inside"
    Intel might sue.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

No.
    Think of Environtment, its no ecological.

Beans

-It would be darn-near impossible to change Linux (kernel) from anything besides GPLv_.

-No way in heck the next version of the GPL would include any such Linux-centric provision while RMS still lives.

-Read up on the relationship between Linux, Linus, GNU, and the FSF. There is no unified front.

-The proposed "must display this ad" clause is very similar to the early BSD licenses. They have since been abandoned for several very good reasons.
    Last edited by earthpigg; December 24th, 2010 at 06:46 AM.
    Semper Fi

My Non-Ubuntu Blog.
    All posts by me are Public Domain.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by leclerc65 View Post
    "Linux Inside"
    Intel might sue.
    The Linux Trademark Institute might sue, too, if this isn't done with their permission.
    Semper Fi

My Non-Ubuntu Blog.
    All posts by me are Public Domain.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast