Thread: uploading files to apache

Beans

Question uploading files to apache

Hi All,
    I have set up a very basic apache server to host my own website (have not set up sql or database or php yet) and I am trying to find out how to fpt or copy my website. I am creating the site in windows and need to know how to transfer it to the server, preferably into the /var/www folder directly.

-Mike

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: uploading files to apache

What works great for me and is secure is WinSCP. You can just drag and drop the files in ******* and it even lets you edit permisssions and ownership. Great tool and free too.

-Tim
    www.pcchopshop.net

Hard to find and obsolete PC and server parts. "If we can't find it, it probably doesn't exist"

Beans

I have tried to use both filezilla and that winSCP, the problem I am getting is that I don't have permission to write to that location, is there some way I can set it up to let me get root permissions for the transfer (kinda like sudo)?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Adding yourself to the wheel group might give you more juice.

-Tim
    www.pcchopshop.net

Hard to find and obsolete PC and server parts. "If we can't find it, it probably doesn't exist"

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by windependence View Post
    Adding yourself to the wheel group might give you more juice.

-Tim
    I appreciate the information- unfortunatly I am still pretty new to linux administration, so I don't know what you mean wheel group, what exactly are you refering to?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

wheel is the name of the group in Red Hat that gives you superuser access. In Ubuntu the default superuser group is admin.

Since you know about sudo, I assume you are already in the admin group. However, I don't believe winscp will allow you to sudo. What you need to do is winscp the files into your home directory, and then ssh into the server and use sudo to copy them into the /var/www directory.

Beans

I use SAMBA then I can access my web folder easily and use Windows tools for editing web content.

My server does not even have a GUI. Not needed, everything is web administrated.

Beans

What are your permissions on /var/www? If you have group write permissions this should do the trick:

Code:
    sudo usermod -a -G www-data <username>
    Otherwise, please post the output of
    Code:
    ls -l /var/www