Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ZTE MF 180 USB Modem not recognized anymore

Hybrid View

Beans

ZTE MF 180 USB Modem not recognized anymore

Hi!

I've been using all kinds of distros so far before settling with Ubuntu ~2 years ago. So while I'm not a complete beginner I never really advanced into Linux...

Recently I got myself a ZTE MF 180 USB modem and following the instructions here http://blog.lynxworks.eu/2010/08/hua...buntu-10-04-1/ I actually got it to work on my Thinkpad X61 running 10.04.

Two days later after not having changed anything it suddenly doesn't work anymore. Using lsusb @ dmesg I identified three problems:

1.) dmesq is stuck with 'usb-storage: waiting for device to settle before scanning' almost every time I plug in the modem.

2.) The Product ID of the modem keeps changing between 0177 and 2000 whenever I unplub and replug it.

3.) modem-modeswitch doesn't seem to do anything (when invoked manually)

any help is appreciated!

greetings from the wintery Austria,
    Martin

dmesg output:

Code:
    [ 4028.336112] usb 1-3: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 5
    [ 4028.472126] usb 1-3: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
    [ 4028.474707] scsi11 : SCSI emulation for USB Mass Storage devices
    [ 4028.475055] usb-storage: device found at 5
    [ 4028.475060] usb-storage: waiting for device to settle before scanning
    lsusb -v output for the modem:

Code:
    Bus 001 Device 005: ID 19d2:2000 ONDA Communication S.p.A. ZTE MF627/MF628/MF628+ HSDPA
    Device Descriptor:
      bLength                18
      bDescriptorType         1
      bcdUSB               2.00
      bDeviceClass            0 (Defined at Interface level)
      bDeviceSubClass         0 
      bDeviceProtocol         0 
      bMaxPacketSize0        64
      idVendor           0x19d2 ONDA Communication S.p.A.
      idProduct          0x2000 ZTE MF627/MF628/MF628+ HSDPA
      bcdDevice            0.00
      iManufacturer           3 ZTE,Incorporated
      iProduct                2 ZTE WCDMA Technologies MSM
      iSerial                 4 MF1800ZTED010000
      bNumConfigurations      1
      Configuration Descriptor:
        bLength                 9
        bDescriptorType         2
        wTotalLength           32
        bNumInterfaces          1
        bConfigurationValue     1
        iConfiguration          1 ZTE Configuration
        bmAttributes         0xe0
          Self Powered
          Remote Wakeup
        MaxPower              500mA
        Interface Descriptor:
          bLength                 9
          bDescriptorType         4
          bInterfaceNumber        0
          bAlternateSetting       0
          bNumEndpoints           2
          bInterfaceClass         8 Mass Storage
          bInterfaceSubClass      6 SCSI
          bInterfaceProtocol     80 Bulk (Zip)
          iInterface              0 
          Endpoint Descriptor:
            bLength                 7
            bDescriptorType         5
            bEndpointAddress     0x01  EP 1 OUT
            bmAttributes            2
              Transfer Type            Bulk
              Synch Type               None
              Usage Type               Data
            wMaxPacketSize     0x0200  1x 512 bytes
            bInterval               0
          Endpoint Descriptor:
            bLength                 7
            bDescriptorType         5
            bEndpointAddress     0x81  EP 1 IN
            bmAttributes            2
              Transfer Type            Bulk
              Synch Type               None
              Usage Type               Data
            wMaxPacketSize     0x0200  1x 512 bytes
            bInterval               0
    Device Qualifier (for other device speed):
      bLength                10
      bDescriptorType         6
      bcdUSB               2.00
      bDeviceClass            0 (Defined at Interface level)
      bDeviceSubClass         0 
      bDeviceProtocol         0 
      bMaxPacketSize0        64
      bNumConfigurations      1
    Device Status:     0x0000
      (Bus Powered)
    /etc/udec/rules.d/16-zte-mf-180.rules - file:

Code:
    SUBSYSTEM=="usb" SYSFS{idProduct}=="2000" SYSFS{idVendor}=="19d2" RUN+="/lib/udev/modem-modeswitch --vendor 0x19d2 --product 0x2000 --type option-zerocd"

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: ZTE MF 180 USB Modem not recognized anymore

hi,
    have you tried deleting the existing network manager mobile broadband setup and run the setup wizard again?
    if it did work before the it should work again or maybe theres some problem with the usb modem
    I had a problem with my e1550 after installing a new kernel, it stopped working and took me two hours to fix, only when I tried the e1550 on windows and it did work (the original windows modem drivers must have done some kind of reseting) and started working again on ubuntu.
    hope you get it sorted out.

Beans

thanks! gonna try this!

Beans

hm...keep being stuck with udev trying to "scan" the stick...

just started an update to 10.10. even though I can't see how that's going to help it's worth a try.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by eiscafe View Post
    hm...keep being stuck with udev trying to "scan" the stick...

just started an update to 10.10. even though I can't see how that's going to help it's worth a try.
    maybe it can help, 10.10's 'usb-modeswitch' has better support for usb modem's.
    if after setting up the network manager connection the modem doesn't connect strait away reboot the computer or better still shut down the computer and restart, some usb modems like mine huawei e1550 require to shut down the computer completely only then it starts working, I also have another huawei 169g this one works strait away after setting up the connection so you see some modems are better supported than others.

Beans

yeah, but is the "scanning problem" connected to modeswitch? I thought modeswitch only kicks in after the usb has been connected?

Beans
    Distro

yeah, but is the "scanning problem" connected to modeswitch? I thought modeswitch only kicks in after the usb has been connected?
    well, I cant answer that, I just don't know!
    but try doing it my way shutting down the computer (and remove the udev rule), I did not enter any udev rule for my e1550 and there isn't any ubuntu generated udev rule for my modem yet the modem is working very well, I know I could have followed the tutorial and added the udev rule then the modem would connect strait away but I like to do things my way as long as they work!
    Last edited by gandaran; December 22nd, 2010 at 06:55 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Red face Re: ZTE MF 180 USB Modem not recognized anymore

Recently I got myself a ZTE MF 180 USB modem and following the instructions here http://blog.lynxworks.eu/2010/08/hua...buntu-10-04-1/ I actually got it to work on my Thinkpad X61 running 10.04.
    I hope you solved the problem. But are you sure that you needed to use “modem-modeswitch” from the beginning to use you ZTE modem, cause i bought the same MF 180 USB modem and using it for one month with both Ubuntu 10.04 & 10.10 on my HP dv4, and i never needed to add a udev rule or to use the modem-modeswitch program.

On both Ubuntu versions, I just needed to create a new mobile broadband connection using the default NetworkManager, inserting some parameters in the wizard, and it's working fine with me till now.

In Ubuntu 10.10, the New Mobile Broadband Connection Wizard window popped up automatically the first time I connected the modem. So I don't think that anyone needs an additional configuration with this kind of usb modems.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Red face Re: ZTE MF 180 USB Modem not recognized anymore

I hope you solved the problem. But are you sure that you needed to use “modem-modeswitch” from the beginning to use you ZTE modem, cause i bought the same MF 180 USB modem and using it for one month with both Ubuntu 10.04 & 10.10 on my HP dv4, and i never needed to add a udev rule or to use the modem-modeswitch program.

On both Ubuntu versions, I just needed to create a new mobile broadband connection using the default NetworkManager, inserting some parameters in the wizard, and it's working fine with me till now.

In Ubuntu 10.10, the New Mobile Broadband Connection Wizard window popped up automatically the first time I connected the modem. So I don't think that anyone needs an additional configuration with this kind of usb modems.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Akhnatoun View Post
    But are you sure that you needed to use “modem-modeswitch” from the beginning to use you ZTE modem, cause i bought the same MF 180 USB modem and using it for one month with both Ubuntu 10.04 & 10.10 on my HP dv4, and i never needed to add a udev rule or to use the modem-modeswitch program.

Since the modem was not recognized as a modem when I plugged it in it does *seem* like I needed it. after upgrading though the modem was recognized without any hazzle.

funny thing though...it stopped working once I got home. and again I can't get it to work. it is recognized. the LED lights up red, then - after typing in my PIN - blue but I cannot connect. and it can't be that there simply is no signal here since I am sitting in the middle of the city.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast