Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ZTE MF 180 USB Modem not recognized anymore

Beans

Re: ZTE MF 180 USB Modem not recognized anymore

Quote Originally Posted by Akhnatoun View Post
    But are you sure that you needed to use “modem-modeswitch” from the beginning to use you ZTE modem, cause i bought the same MF 180 USB modem and using it for one month with both Ubuntu 10.04 & 10.10 on my HP dv4, and i never needed to add a udev rule or to use the modem-modeswitch program.

Since the modem was not recognized as a modem when I plugged it in it does *seem* like I needed it. after upgrading though the modem was recognized without any hazzle.

funny thing though...it stopped working once I got home. and again I can't get it to work. it is recognized. the LED lights up red, then - after typing in my PIN - blue but I cannot connect. and it can't be that there simply is no signal here since I am sitting in the middle of the city.

Beans

just open a terminal and type:
    sudo rmmod usb-storage
    (enter your password if asked for one)
    then the modem is in modem mode (do not plug in any usb storage device after that). It is an old trick that works with almost any modem with the same problem you have. The rmmod is not permanent. The usb-storage module is reloaded on reboot or by the command: sudo modprobe usb-storage .
    Good luck.

Beans

This may not be a very intelligent solution...but it sure solved the issue for me...
    I also got into this problem recently...and had to search through thousands of online guides, forums and tutos to find a solution.. I'm using Ubuntu 12.04 LTS.

After following a guide that told me to add a .rules file to the /etc/udev/rules.d which would probably solve the prolem my system hangs itself at the ubuntu logo.. SO I GOT TWO PROBLEMS NOW!!...
    After another round in the web.. i finally found a solution that actually solve both problems.
    My intention was to remove the rules file which i added cuz i knw it was the root for the system to hang... So how can i remove it without logging in????...
    The LIVE CD came into help.. i boot into the Ubuntu live OS.. but then.. it won't let me change files on the other system...SO????
    What i did is outlined in the following..
    1. Made a directory in /media ex: /media/temp
    2. Mounted the ubuntu partition in that directory

NOW i have CONTROL over the files
    3. Remove the newly added rules file from /etc/udev/rules.d directory

For some reason, it occurred to me that the problem is with the rules file that connects to my ZTE modem. the file was 9-cdrom.rules.. i just took a back up of that file and removed it too... and typed in sudo reboot...

VOILA!!!!!...the system boots up without a prob...and now when i connect my modem Ubuntu detected it and i was able to establish a connection without a hassle...

HOPE THIS WILL BE A HELP TO SOMEONE....

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

From the Ubuntu Forums Code of Conduct.
    If a post is older than a year or so and hasn't had a new reply in that time, instead of replying to it, create a new thread. In the software world, a lot can change in a very short time, and doing things this way makes it more likely that you will find the best information. You may link to the original discussion in the new thread if you think it may be helpful.
    Thread closed.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12