Thread: SuperTuxKart 0.7 released

Hybrid View

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

SuperTuxKart 0.7 released

After over a year of work, dozens upon dozens of new and fixed bugs, over 3000 commits, a lot of work from artists, restless testing from our faithful followers, and translations from contributors all over the world, we are thrilled to offer you SuperTuxKart 0.7 just in time for Christmas! This release is using irrlicht for graphics, and features:

• new GUI
    • kart and track animations
    • new and improved tracks, karts, and items
    • shortcut/alternative way support for tracks
    • Asian fonts
    • many many bugfixes.

Enjoy!
    Downloads can be found here: http://supertuxkart.sourceforge.net/Downloads
    There are not any deb package for 0.7 yet, but hopefully it should be available soon.
    Last edited by Perfect Storm; November 24th, 2011 at 04:46 PM. Reason: added prefix
    My intent is not to flame. I am unarmed. -- QIII; thanks!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: SuperTuxKart 0.7 released

Great! Is it available for Maverick too? I just seen Karmic.
    Thanks for the post!

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Thanks for the info! I'm gonna give it a try.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Cavsfan
    Great! Is it available for Maverick too? I just seen Karmic.
    Thanks for the post!
    Sorry, but as I wrote, there are not any deb file for 0.7 as of yet, so the Karmic one is still the 0.6.2 version. Hopefully it will be in the repos for Natty (11.04).
    Compiling from source is probably the best way for now - hopefully this inconvenience will be solved soon. There are unofficial PPA's for SuperTuxKart, but as far as I know they are updated with unstable releases and as such may not be the safest way to get 0.7 (as a later update may contain unstable features, or break things previously working).

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur_D View Post
    Sorry, but as I wrote, there are not any deb file for 0.7 as of yet, so the Karmic one is still the 0.6.2 version. Hopefully it will be in the repos for Natty (11.04).
    Compiling from source is probably the best way for now - hopefully this inconvenience will be solved soon. There are unofficial PPA's for SuperTuxKart, but as far as I know they are updated with unstable releases and as such may not be the safest way to get 0.7 (as a later update may contain unstable features, or break things previously working).
    I guess that depends on what you mean by "unofficial". The ppa for the SuperTuxKart development team is here. It's not officially supported to Canonical/Ubuntu, but it is certainly supported by the guys making SuperTuxKart. If you add it to your software repositories and get a working copy of SuperTuxKart, no one says you have to update it after you get it working.

Beans
    Distro

Well, the PPA is not handled by the two lead developers, and contains svn versions of STK and Irrlicht. While this should work for now, it could pose as an inconvenience if someone add the PPA to their sources and then STK later becomes crash-prone because it was updated alongside with all the other software when doing an update.

In other words: feel free to use the PPA, but at own risk.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Just compiled/installed/tested and it's a great advance over the previous version! There's still a lot of work to be done but it's great fun, I'm really surprised with it.