Thread: Burn dvds and cds

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Burn dvds and cds

Ok. I have tried a few methods and have not been able to burn a dvd yet. I can create the files that would go on the dvd.

I first created a slide show using OpenShot. I saved it as a avi. First off, is this the correct format?
    Also, I have other files from other methods that end in .mov. Is this the correct format?

Can I combine the two formats of .avi and .mov on the same dvd ( have not even gotten to this point yet, but figured I might as well ask up front )?

To burn the dvd, I tried qdvdauthor. It crashed on me after I autogrouped two files.
    Also, I tried k3b and DeVeDe. I was able to create files, but I still could not get them onto a dvd.

I tried to take the files from k3b and DeVeDe and create a DVD in Brasero. Brasero just closes. No error, no success message.

How do I get files on a dvd in Ubuntu?

I would even be happy with tutorials or links of software that was worked.

Also, I will don't know how to get an audio cd burned in Ubuntu yet.

Thanks in advance!
    Switching from Windows to Ubuntu one small step at a time

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Burn dvds and cds

Do you need to have the DVD play in a standalone DVD player or just on a computer?

If you need to use a standalone DVD player, DeVeDe can make a ISO image file that you can then burn in k3b using the "Burn Image" feature.

If you just want to play avi and mov video files on a computer, you can simply use k3b to burn these files to the DVD with the "Create Data Project" feature, likewise you can also use this feature to burn your picture or mp3 files to the DVD disk.

Let us know what device (Computer or standalone DVD player) you want to play the DVD on, and we can point you to tutorials to help.
    FIC K8-800T AMD64 3200+ 2GB PC3200 GeForce 6800GT Mandriva 2010 KDE+Compiz+Emerald
    MSI K9N2GM AMD 9950BE 4GB DDR2-800 GeForce 8200 10.10 WUSB600N
    Acer 6920 Core 2 Duo 4GB GeForce 9500GS 10.04 Ubuntu User #17586

Beans
    Distro

I will be playing this on a stand alone dvd player ( actually many different dvd players )

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

In that case, DeVeDe is the way to go, choosing the "create ISO" option, then you can use k3b to burn the ISO to a blank DVD using the "Burn image" option in that program.

This seems to be a good video tutorial Here
    It takes a bit to get to what you want to do, but it's through. Also it's a older tutorial, so check your DeVeDe version, you may not need to reinstall it as mentioned in the first bit of the video.
    FIC K8-800T AMD64 3200+ 2GB PC3200 GeForce 6800GT Mandriva 2010 KDE+Compiz+Emerald
    MSI K9N2GM AMD 9950BE 4GB DDR2-800 GeForce 8200 10.10 WUSB600N
    Acer 6920 Core 2 Duo 4GB GeForce 9500GS 10.04 Ubuntu User #17586

Beans
    Distro

Thank you!

So in summary, I used PhotoFilmStrip and to take my still pics and make them into a movie. Then, I combined those movies ( made from slide shows ) with other .mov file ( movie files from my Kodak Easy Share camera ) and put those movies into OpenShot. I created an avi from OpenShot.

Next, I used DeVeDe and created an iso. Then, I actually could just right click on the iso and burned it to dvd.

I did see the Burn Image in k3b though also. I am sure that would work as well.

Beans
    Distro

Now, what about just audio cds?

My wife tried to burn one the other day and it only plays on the computer.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by toolmania1 View Post
    Now, what about just audio cds?
    K3b for this job too.
    K3b > File > New Project > New Audio CD Project
    Last edited by ron999; December 21st, 2010 at 03:23 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Nice!

I will try this later.

I wonder if this will take the files my wife burned onto a cd that only plays onto the computer and put them into a format that can play on any cd player?

Beans
    Distro

I am marking this closed as I have another audio thread open and the above comment will more than likely work since I am already using K3b for Video.