Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What a Scare...

Beans

Red face What a Scare...

I recently downloaded Ubuntu and created a USB stick with the Ubuntu software on it as instructed. But when I started up the PC, the software was supposed to give me a choice to "try" or "install". I think it started to install... but am not sure... because all of a sudden, it appeared like a DOS menu came up for a second but I could not read it. Then the screen seemed to go blank although the USB was flashing (showing some activity) and I had no indication of what was happening.

I panicked and turned off the PC and pulled out the USB - when I started up, Windows Vista did a recovery.

I really only want to try this OS first ... not replace my windows until I am sure I find it meets my needs.

Did I do something wrong using the USB version? There did not seem to be a GUI at the start like the one shown on the Ubuntu installation page.

I may be too naive to be trusted to install this... feel free to tell me so

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: What a Scare...

Hi Welcome and don't panic!

Can you boot into windows?

Also the install process goes through a number of stages before you actually install it, like choosing to install it over windows or etc etc...you probably (unless you've got some kind of crazy trigger finger) can't install it accidently
    Last edited by Hippytaff; December 20th, 2010 at 11:51 PM.
    Perseverance will succeed (usually)
    ubuntu user -32597 - linux user - 526569
    Wireless Info Script
    Blog

Beans

If you can still boot into windows just fine, I would say the easiest way to go about trying ubuntu before installing it, would be to download The latest ubuntu cd .iso along side unetbootin (http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/)

After you have both of these things, open unetbootin and direct it to your ubuntu.iso, and choose the letter of the usb drive you would like to boot from. Let all of that run through and when it's finished and you've rebooted your computer, provided all of your bios settings are correct and allow the computer to boot from the flash drive, you should be presented with a rather dull looking menu with quite a few options. Make sure you've selected default and continue on and it should take you into the ubuntu live environment, where you can explore the OS before you choose to install it.

Also, there is something called wubi (http://www.ubuntu.com/desktop/get-ub...dows-installer). I've never used this before, but I think what it does is allow you to run ubuntu inside of windows, so your not even booting your computer differently than normal.

Best of luck!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Problems with Installation and stuff? please check my signature and read the guide posted there.

Welcome to Ubuntu!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Ubuntu never "just installs itself". There are always questions that it needs to ask first.

With the normal Ubuntu CD/USB image, it starts up a "live" session of Ubuntu, that runs from the CD/USB. From there, it gives you a window where you can choose to try Ubuntu, or install it. If you click "Install", it asks you a couple of questions first before starting the installation procedure. If you click "Try Ubuntu", it continues starting up the live session.

If you don't click anything, nothing happens.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I think you pulled the plug when the cd was just loading to RAM so you could try it out in a "live" session before making any decision to permanently install.

You really don't need to worry about "accidently" installing Ubuntu when you just want to try it out. When you install Ubuntu, the installer will ask you questions which you have to answer before installation can begin. So don't worry about "DOS-like" text and splash screens and stuff. The live cd takes a few moments before the live session actually starts. It is *very* unlikely that anything untoward has happened to your current operating sytem.
    "All people are scum. No matter what they look like." ~ Spider Jerusalem, Transmetropolitan #4

Beans

I am not sure, but the USB seems to work away for a while then the monitor just displays a "No Signal" message and I see no activity at all except that the USB flashes for a while... then everything seems to go quiet... and because the HDD is not being used for the boot, there is a very eerie feeling that nothing is happening.

Could there be an issue with Ubuntu and my video card/drivers? I mean, I really should see some sort of indication that something is happening. Eventually even the USB stops blinking.

I downloaded the Ubuntu Desktop ISO file. I then ran the Universal-USB-Installer.

How long should I be waiting for the USB to finally come up with the screen that says "Try Ubuntu"?? I thought after 15 minutes I should at least seem something... other than an indication that the monitor is receiving no signal.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Hmm.... I also have the problem of not having a signal. I have 2 monitors, so I decided to turn it off, unplug one, and boot off my flash drive/CD again. When it booted and got to the desktop after saying 'Try Ubuntu', I plugged my 2nd monitor back in and set my desktop to be expanded onto it.
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources." -Albert Einstein

Ubuntu User #32977; Linux User #528876

Beans

Yeah... I only have one monitor. My PC is an HP Slimline ... so the built-in video card may be an issue. Odd tho... because a basic video driver should work.

Beans

I was able to recover and reboot. I tried the USB again... but again it simply seems to get so far and then the monitor goes blank (indicating No Signal). The USB flashes a couple of times and then stops. As the monitor seems to be shut off, I have no way of knowing if it is doing anything. I just eventually (after 15 minutes) push the power switch and shut the PC off and restart it using Windows to come back into this forum.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast