Thread: My package manager is installing updates without prompting for a password

My package manager is installing updates without prompting for a password

My package manager (KPackageKit) seems to be able to install updates without authentication. (Installing new packages does prompt for a password, it's only the updates) This is on a fairly recent clean installation of Kubuntu 10.04, and I haven't made any big changes to anything. I've searched around, and I can't really tell whether this is supposed to be happening. The consensus seems to be "Switch to synaptic," but my concern is this: Somehow, a program was able to edit root files without any authentication. How is that even possible? What should I do about it? Thanks!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: My package manager is installing updates without prompting for a password

I don't know if it's the same in Kubuntu, but in Ubuntu you can set updates to be installed automatically. See screen shot.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by cariboo; December 19th, 2010 at 08:28 PM. Reason: fix spelling error

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I was surprised the first time KPackageKit didn't prompt for a password during updates as well. Apparently this is the correct behavior. It doesn't bother me much since we're only talking about updates to existing packages. As you say, installing new packages always requires a password.

There doesn't seem to be a method to alter this behavior in KPackageKit either. I can tell it whether I want updates installed automatically, but not whether I want to require a password to do so. On the other hand, if a password were required, it wouldn't be possible to implement automatic updating.

I don't know if it's the same in Kubuntu, but in Ubuntu you can set updates to be installed automatically. See screen shot.
    I have that set to "only notify." Even if I open KPackageKit and manually tell it to update, it doesn't require a password.

I was surprised the first time KPackageKit didn't prompt for a password during updates as well. Apparently this is the correct behavior. It doesn't bother me much since we're only talking about updates to existing packages. As you say, installing new packages always requires a password.
    Huh, weird. I guess that answers my question .

Just wondering, how is KPackageKit capable of doing that? If I open it and it's running under my username, it seems like it wouldn't be able to change root-owned files.

Thanks for the help!