Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: ASUS USB-N13 fails to communicate

Beans

ASUS USB-N13 fails to communicate

Chili555 where are you?

I am running Ubuntu Release 10.04 (lucid), Kernel Linux 2.6.32-26-generic-pae, GNOME 2.30.2.

I have installed the ASUS USB-N13 according to your advice in previous posts, specifically, in your advice to 828688 Ben.

The dongle seems to be operating as it should. The LED does its flashing at what appears to be the correct time. Wicd also looks correct. Networks are found with good signals shown. Everything looks correct. But when I attempt to connect, "validating authentication" runs for quite some time, and eventually results in a dialogue window stating the communication failed. The required WEP password is entered in the RT2870STA.dat file, and again in the wicd window.

I have entered as much detail in the RT2870STA.dat file as I dare, and believe it to be correct.

ndiswrapper is not installed. Network Manager is uninstalled. Only wicd remains.

Any thoughts, or queries which might allow you to diagnose this predicament?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: ASUS USB-N13 fails to communicate

Remind me, or better yet, link me to the method you used, please.
    Chili555 where are you?
    Feel free to send a private message if you feel that I can help and I don't catch the thread right away.
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, Ph.D.

Beans

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...t=ASUS+USB-N13

That is the thread I referred to. It all went exactly as per the results of terminal inputs (modified a bit for my own particular case, but none the less, the same outputs) until we got to about post #40. The user you were responding to then had problems with validating authentification.

And that is where I am up to.

Everything looks good. Wicd seems to be working OK. I am running two WLANs and wicd recognises both, but I can not vallidate authentification with either although I am entereing the correct WEP Hex password, which I have also entered in the RT2807STA.dat file.

I am at a bit of a loss. Out of ideas in fact. So hopefully you can dig me out of the hole.

I would really appreciate your help.

Beans
    Distro

Please remove, if you have them, /etc/udev/rules.d/network_drivers.rules and /etc/modprobe.d/network_drivers.conf. Reboot. Is your device available when you click the Wicd icon? If so, try to connect a couple of times and then do:
    Code:
    sudo cat /var/log/wicd/wicd.log > ibates.txt
    sudo cat /etc/Wireless/RT2870STA/RT2870STA.dat >> ibates.txt
    zip ibates.zip ibates.txt
    Attach the ibates.zip file you will find in your home directory to your reply.
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, Ph.D.

Beans

Please remind me how to remove those two files. Memory moment!

Beans
    Distro

No worries. Please do:
    Code:
    sudo rm <some_file>
    You can copy and paste from the forum page to the terminal.

Beans

OK. That's done,

First question - no. The device is not available in wicd following removal of the two files. Also no LED activation on the dongle.

And here is the .zip file

http://ubuntuforums.org/attachment.p...1&d=1291604730

Let's know if you didn't get it. I was feeling in the dark a bit how to do it.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Beans
    Distro

The method in the link you provided took two different approaches; one didn't work (see post #4) and the next one did (see post #16 and following). Did you do the download and compile? Let's see:
    Code:
    sudo modprobe rt3070sta
    iwconfig
    modinfo rt3070sta | grep -i version
    dmesg | grep -i rt3
    Some of these commands may produce an error or no output; each result is significant and we need to know what it is. Also, I notice that, in your Wicd log, you successfully connect with wired ethernet. I doubt you will also get a simultaneous wireless connection. After we sort out the driver, our tests must be with the ethernet detached.

Your requested file came through just fine.

Beans

Since my last post, in an attempt to sort out what the heck, I had reinstalled the two files you asked me to remove. Do you want me to remove them again before continuing?

Beans
    Distro

No. Please proceed.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast