Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Linux Geeks Project

Beans

Post The Linux Geeks Project

Hey guys, we launched new blog with my IT buddy Visinix. Called TheLinuxGeeks.info We blog there about linux and more. I think its very good idea to contribute to linux world on what we know. We also released some open source code there as well for you guys to enjoy. I would love to get some feedback from community. Please reply with comments and suggestions. Thank you guys
    Last edited by TuxLyn; December 22nd, 2010 at 02:20 PM.

Beans

Re: The Linux Geeks Project

Just wanted to let everybody know that we are now updating the blog daily, I hope you guys like it.

Beans

Now forum is installed @ TLG, http://www.thelinuxgeeks.info/forum

Let me know what you think guys.

Beans

the blog has some interesting stuff, but i've got enough forums in my life already
    Semper Fi

My Non-Ubuntu Blog.
    All posts by me are Public Domain.

Beans

@ earthpigg, fair enough comments thanks piggy

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I like it, but I would like to say. All I see is how to install software. I'm saying this strictly as personal opinion so don't take it wrong, but could you also include a category system with things such as programming how tos, Program modifications, hacks videos and could you also explain the syntax of the posts you currently do (From the front page all I see is how to install the applications and the commands to follow, can you find an interesting way to tell the user what these commands are actually doing to their systems for the less tech inclined)

**EDIT: Sorry, just basically skimmed it the first time around. I now see the category thing, but it's still all about software, not any developement or hacks or anything to that nature. As far as the what the commands are doing, I just thought about that one, it would probably be best to put this into a category of it's own and tell the readers about the commands and how they function go into detail. Don't forget to make it spicy though. There's nothing people hate more than page after page of tech specs. (Except for programmers)

If you can't do this all with your team, don't be afraid to branch out! You have forums so I'm assuming you must have some readers already.
    Last edited by ki4jgt; December 24th, 2010 at 08:27 AM.
    Which is more important in obtaining the truth, "what" or "why"? Trick question. They are of equal importance.
    Freely ye have received, freely give.

Beans

@ ki4jgt, this blog is more for geeks then newbies, all do we do have forum for people new to linux. Please see what "geek" ("a computer expert or enthusiast") means, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geek If the comments for commands that we provide is not easy enough for you. I would highly recommend you read some manuals and books or join our forum and ask for help. We will try to help you as much as possible. But I would also suggest you use Ubuntu Forums more and learn about how the linux work before using our blog. We do try to explain as much as possible in our articles, but its more for geeks then newbies
    Last edited by TuxLyn; December 24th, 2010 at 11:20 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

site is marked, lots of good stuff in there, nice layout.

Beans

@ inobe, Thank you buddy. We started out with inova theme and its now highly customized, I've changed a lot of code. Coded authors page, customized archive and much more.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I've been a geek myself for a while, not hacker style. I have hacked websites before. But that was in (probably around 10 years ago) After a midlife crisis which happened a year ago, I jammed everything I know about computers out of my mind. Literally, I can't even remember how to program in BASIC very well.(SmashIndex was already coded before the thing happened) So I went from having a nearly photographic memory to zilch. I understand the commands - I just don't use any modern terminology which makes me sound kind of new I guess, The thing is, I've always had an interest in how things worked below the surface. Yes, you can put this this and this into the terminal, but what actually is it doing? I don't mean to offend you, so please take this gently, I just thought it would be a great thing for people with those kinds of interests. I mean, I pretty much baffled my computer teacher when I asked him how the computer routed the 1s and 0s. He gave me the general answer which every A+ cert has on it, but I wanted to know about the electric parts and not just the software. Which is something I think any geek would be interested in, new or old.

***EDIT: Reread my comment from earlier. Sorry if it sounded a little snotty. I'm still having relapses All in all, you have a great project going on there.
    Last edited by ki4jgt; December 24th, 2010 at 12:54 PM.
    Which is more important in obtaining the truth, "what" or "why"? Trick question. They are of equal importance.
    Freely ye have received, freely give.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast