Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Truth about Bees:

Beans

The Truth about Bees:

Wik-Bee Leaks: EPA Document Shows It Knowingly Allowed Pesticide That Kills Honey Bees

BY Ariel Schwartz

Fri Dec 10, 2010.

http://www.fastcompany.com/1708896/w...oxic-pesticide

A very interesting read, no real surprises in it though, as it is what we have come to expect these days.

wojox is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans

Re: The Truth about Bees:

I thought it was odd that I paid so much for honey for my tea.

Beans

Apparently there are orchards in China where the blossoms have to be hand pollinated as all of the Bees are now dead. I've read that India also has a real lack of Bees problem as well.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

General consensus is that the CCD is related to a whole possible host of causes.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colony_collapse_disorder

Besides the humans getting in the way this seems to be a player.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Varroa

It is difficult to get really good data on such a scary thing happening. We wont survive without them probably.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by handy View Post
    Apparently there are orchards in China where the blossoms have to be hand pollinated as all of the Bees are now dead.
    I actually saw that on a documentary about bees where they showed the people hand pollinate the blossoms in a certain part of China.

Beans

I love Bees, they are just such a happy harmless species that bumble about doing their own thing, keeping the plants pollinated and saving the world.

There is an oddly morbid part of me though that would like Bees to move on, human society collapse as we cant get simple crops we always needed, and for someone to find the natural antibiotic's on Honey to be the key to curing all of man kinds ailments. Just really so I can say 'now ya'll shudda listened to me instead of callin me a loony!'. Never mind the fact I am a loony, I just want to say that to people.

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

My uncle used to be a chemist at a company who developed pesticides. He basically told me that when you create an insecticide, it will kill all kinds of insects. He said the only difference between ant spray and hornet spray is that hornet spray is made to come out in a stream so that you can spray them from a distance. They all use the same basic types of chemicals.

So if that's the case, why would they think that a pesticide wouldn't kill bees?
    Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You. - Dr. Seuss

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Cheyenne peppers work wonders for pests. especially the juice. It keeps them off of gardens for about a month. Even works on Deer.

***EDIT: Now when my friend who is into all this new age mumbo jumbo about why radio waves are bad for us tells me that my radio station is what's killing all the bees, I'll be sure to let them in on this little secret Thanks
    Last edited by ki4jgt; December 17th, 2010 at 06:53 PM.
    Which is more important in obtaining the truth, "what" or "why"? Trick question. They are of equal importance.
    Freely ye have received, freely give.

Beans

I'm just irritated it was able to get approved when they knew it was bad. If they didn't know, there could be some slight justification, but this is just kinda wrong.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ki4jgt View Post
    ***EDIT: Now when my friend who is into all this new age mumbo jumbo about why radio waves are bad for us tells me that my radio station is what's killing all the bees, I'll be sure to let them in on this little secret Thanks
    I shouldn't have put [SOLVED] on the thread, as it would seem that there may still very likely be a variety of reasons that Bees are taking such a big population hit in so many parts of the world.

Though to my mind the huge use of chemicals in farming & pest control has to be the major cause. As the widely prevalent use of monoculture in farming in combination with all of the chemicals that are used in same has to change the natural balance. Which surely has had effects that we haven't got the slightest idea of about at this stage.

So certain micro-organisms could become extinct & others that were once kept in balance by those now extinct can have a chain of effects that reflect on the health of many species of flora & fauna.

The huge variety of plants & other species that we have & are causing to become extinct is having & is going to have huge effects on life on Earth, which will continue to become more noticeable to the general public as the years roll by.

I think it is more than a shame that we have made such a mess of this gorgeous planet.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast