Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 10.10 freezes up, randomly becomes unresponsive

Beans

Re: 10.10 freezes up, randomly becomes unresponsive

ok .. seems the problem has been with the pm-utils in synaptic if you are having this issue check synaptic and see if you are running 1.4... if you are remove it and reinstall older version 1.3 here http://packages.ubuntu.com/de/lucid/...utils/download fixed my problem... i just unplugged my laptop and its running perfectly... thanks to aspera for this info on launchpad hope this works for you...after install of 1.3 reboot just in case ...let me know how it works out for you.

Beans

Thank you for your responses, I was thinking I was the only one with the lock down issue!

I didn't find anything relevant in log files, so I'm still wondering what's the reason of this behaviour.
    any other suggestions? I'll give a try to the java workaround, but I have a bad feeling that will not work...

Quote Originally Posted by antitude View Post
    I have exactly the same problem.
    Do you have an old acer laptop like me?

Beans

Hi

I still don't know why it happens, but I tried the java workaround and I didn't notice any more freezing problems for a week or so.
    I think its gone. thank you for your suggestions!!

Beans

I'm having the same issues here guys.

For awhile it almost seemed like it was related to USB inputs. My firefox and anything in the top/bottom menu on the desktop would become unresponsive. Even mouse clicks wouldn't work on anything except for the active window. I could CTRL+ALT+DELETE and use the keyboard to restart. Once it came back up, it was almost immediately unresponsive like before.

I unplugged my MyPassport and I could suddenly do stuff again...but then it would become unresponsive again in about 5 minutes.

Finally I restarted with no USB inputs and everything worked fine.

I've been doing a lot of web development so Firefox has been running all the time during the initial unresponsiveness, so I reinstalled firefox.

So far no issues but it has only been like 2 hours. It can take longer for the problem to begin again.

Anyone else have anything similar like this and possibly a solution? Gets real annoying to have to restart especially when developing on a local virtual server.

Thanks!

Oh - running a Dell Studio 16 XPS

Beans

Hi,

I just wanted to chime in that I am also having problems with Ubuntu 10.10. The install was on a new server so I am not sure if the hardware could be to blame

AMD64 10.10
    Phenom X6 3.2 GHz
    16 GB DDR3
    6 2 TB hard drives in raid-5 mdadm
    Nforce4 chipset I think

I may try downgrading to Ubuntu 10.04 to see if that improves my issues.

Basically, it looks like the system freezes when performing large data set manipulations. It looks to freeze around the time that the RAM disk cache fills so I am wondering if it could be related to that.

As to he cause of the freeze, I can replicate it under a variety of conditions. Running virtual box with a virtual box shared folder. On a windows laptop using SMB protocol, and on my mac mini using an NFS mount. On all situations, the common factor was modifying a large number of files on the Ubuntu Server. When the system freezes, I lose the ability to open a new terminal, login via ssh, or reboot the machine via the GNOME, although my desktop remains partially functional (can browse on existing firefox windows). It looks like my RAM cache is about to fill again, I will update again, if this causes my computer to freeze once it fills.

If anyone has any suggestions, I would definitely be up to give them a try. Otherwise I will be changing to 10.04 to see if I have better luck with that.

Thanks,
    Zack

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by spantch101 View Post
    ok .. seems the problem has been with the pm-utils in synaptic if you are having this issue check synaptic and see if you are running 1.4... if you are remove it and reinstall older version 1.3 here http://packages.ubuntu.com/de/lucid/...utils/download fixed my problem... i just unplugged my laptop and its running perfectly... thanks to aspera for this info on launchpad hope this works for you...after install of 1.3 reboot just in case ...let me know how it works out for you.
    Tried downgrading to 1.3, will report if this works for me.

Beans

My machine just froze again, I am actually typing on it now. Same behavior as before, I am unable to open a new terminal or reboot the machine. I guess I will be downgrading to 10.04 soon, unless someone here has a suggestion for a fix.

Beans

I solved my freeze problems by modifying grub, adding "acpi_skip_timer_override" as follows:

sudo gedit /etc/default/grub

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash acpi_skip_timer_override"

sudo update-grub

no more interrupts on boot, no more freezes after periods of inactivity, no problems resuming from sleep/hibernate; sometimes you need to hit Enter or Spacebar a couple times, that's all

this is the only thing that has worked for me on my Toshiba a205-s4607 satellite laptop. Note: running 32bit version

Beans

I am not sure if that is my issue, I am running a desktop with power saver settings disabled. The computer locks up whenever my itunes account access large amounts of data, either through NFS or SMB. My computer just locked up again the second time today.

Beans

Are you using the Ubuntu distro designed for laptops/netbooks?
    Last edited by XsheepX; March 13th, 2011 at 03:42 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast